Thread: New trigger for heart disease

narc

New trigger for heart disease

Check this out. http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/condi....ap/index.html
    A possible link between lingering urinary infections and heart disease. Scary stuff. Has anyone heard of this or about the test for C-reactive protien (CRP)

Glad to see this posted. I just signed on to ask questions about how a CRP test would turn out for someone with SCI.

I actually wanted to know if one has an incomplete decompression, or if one still has some bone fragments, drill fragments, etc. in the spinal cord would this cause an inflammatory reaction. Would our CRP levels be elevated??? Is this one of the reasons we are higher risk for diabetes or cardiovascular disease, heck for that matter, amyloid stuff too as chronic inflammation leads to build up of amyloid deposits.

//

C Reactive Protein is a marker of inflammation in the body. The kind of urinary tract infection that the article referred to was chronic untreated. None of the research about the link between chronic inflammation and heart disease has been conducted with SCI folks. The larger issues about heart disease are still applicable to SCI folks--weight loss, not smoking, controlling the amount of fat in your diet--those will go a long way to preventing heart problems. You probably have better things to worry about than a link between UTI's and heart attacks--my professional opinion is that there's not much connection.

RAB

narc
    WHEW! Thanks SN

I came across some journal articles on C Reactive Protein as a marker for heart disease. In terms of the relative risk of heart attack, a high serum cholesterol level increases the risk by a factor of 2.3, a high CRP increases the risk by 1.5; having both at the same time increases the risk by 5.0.

For otherwise healthy individuals, The authors of one long review suggest three scenarios when measuring CRP would be helpful: with the lipid profile to improve risk assessment and predict the degree of benefit from statins and aspirin, in patients presenting with chest pain to predict the likelihood of a myocardial infarction (heart attack), and in patients undergoing stress testing to better predict future cardiovascular risk.

Another article found that taking a daily multivitamin significantly reduced the levels of CRP in the blood.

The take home message is much the same as in my first posting: You need to reduce the amount of saturated fats in your diet and be careful to maintain good levels of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol). Taking a vitamin pill daily will help to lower CRP levels and provide a range of other nutritional benefits as well.

Hope this helps.

RAB