Thread: Medicare Part D (Drugs)

Medicare Part D (Drugs)

Did anyone else know that when the folks in Congress wrote this up they specifically excluded all benzodiazipines? We're talking Valium, Xanax, Zyprexa, etc. Rep Ben Cardin from Maryland tried to get this fixed before recess and couldn't. If you useone of these drugs be prpared for another way to ay for them until, hopefully, Congress fixes this when they return in February.

For those on both Medicaid and Medicare states will not be reimbursed for the benzodiazipines under the cost share agreements between the states and the federal government. It will now be up to each state whether theey will reimburse for these drug if you recieve Medicaid.

Just a heads up especially for those on zyprexa.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

One of the good things that I did find was that my Medicaid here is MA did not cover Celebrex, and the plan, Humana, covers it. I have suffered with pain in my shoulders, neck and hands so it has limited me greatly. Now I can have a little less pain.

I think that if enough of us call out congressmen and senetors they may think about including these in the drug program, but remember they have to be pressured from alot of us calling, emailing, and writing.

oh, yes, and be sure to expalain to them why these drugs are important to us for they are used for other things than just "nerviousness".

For the 5th or whatever time it's been I went to the www.medicare.gov website to choose a provider. I still can't decide on one. I have 47 plans to choose from ranging in price from $10 to $104 per month. Some with an annual deductble of $250 and some of the more expensive ones without. But with other entanglements. Some cover 100% of the top 100 most common drugs and the others a lower %. And some have gaps and co-pays and and and and... I'm going insane!

It's true about making sausage... the only thing worse to watch being made is a government program. Well, having to figure it out and live with it is worse. Thank you Bush and your Republican Congress.

I'll try another day. It's as though they expect you to know what drug you'll be needing in the future, how long you'll be needing it for and how much it will cost before you even see a doctor.

Hmmm, where's that Tarot card reading thread?

How about one normal plan with a reasonable deductible and an affordable co-pay? Nah, that would be too much to expect and make too much sense.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Jake has Med D--and he takes Zyprexa. Haven't had a problem yet, but it's early...he has a couple of extra cards of Z, I think, in the closet, but does anyone know...once you voluntarily sign up for a program, can you switch? Is there, like, an open season like you have with private insurance? Or is it better to stay with Plan D and work toward getting it straightened out?

We signed him up for this one because the pharmacy that's been supplying his meds for about a year now suggested it as the best one for him.

In the meantime while we are waiting for this to be fixed, you might contact the Pharmasuitical Association of America, and they have a program for low income that do not havemedical coverage for certaim pharmasuiticals, I would check and see what they can do for you. Then have your doctor call and they will send your doctor the meds, once a month.

Thanks, Tweetybird.

Zyprexa is not a benzo, it is an atypical antipsychotic. Zyprexa and other drugs that are atypical antipsychotics are covered (depending on the plan of course it may or may not cover Zyprexa specifcially versus Risperdal or Geodon, very similar atypical antipsychotics).

However, you are correct on the other count (the original poster) that benzos are excluded. It's just unbelievable to me. Why didn't they exclude narcotic painkillers? They are far more dangerous and addictive .... makes NO sense and it TOTALLY discriminatory.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg
    Jake has Med D--and he takes Zyprexa. Haven't had a problem yet, but it's early...he has a couple of extra cards of Z, I think, in the closet, but does anyone know...once you voluntarily sign up for a program, can you switch? Is there, like, an open season like you have with private insurance? Or is it better to stay with Plan D and work toward getting it straightened out?

We signed him up for this one because the pharmacy that's been supplying his meds for about a year now suggested it as the best one for him.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager