Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally got the beast back on the road!!

finally got the beast back on the road!!

19 months of "while I'm at it" and viola! 928SS lives!! it's almost possible to forget I'm a gimp when it's melting the tires, doing a 4 wheel drift at willow springs or just getting attention at the car wash

more specs/pics at: http://www.myinfoware.com/928/85shark.htm

if anyone wants a true gt sportscar, can use hand controls and has a decent budget - this is the car!! they came w/a 4 speed AT or 5 speed stick, and the
    AT shifts so fast/flawlessly it's actually quicker than the 5 sp cars!! and w/true 50/50 wt distribution - it shares legendary porsche handling w/the 944/968/924 lines - but w/a 5.0L/32valve V8 it's easily the king of the powerband... (up to 345hp stock for the GTS)

they can be found pretty inexpensively ($7-$58K depending on MY and condition), but maint can be a bugger as w/any 20 yr old car... so I went through mine from bumper to bumper w/a ground up restoration/upgrade effort - still cheaper than a new vette or viper and (IMO) nicer lines /more sex appeal too (even made GQ magazine's top 3 sexiest guy cars last month!!)

w/the engine upgrades, it's putting out over 440 rear wheel ft lbs torque at 2400rpms, and nearly 450chp at 5500rpm (6500rpm redline) - so it's no slouch (will pull 13sec quarters and 70-145mph in about 6sec and still has room to go!!)... w/the brake and suspension upgrades, it stops and handles like a HP go cart!! the stereo and int. upgrades make it quite comfortable, and it's easy to put the chair in the back and still have room for a passenger... xfers are easier than many cars, and much easier than my 4x4 F150, so for me it's a treat to just drop into the seat, toss the chair in the back and yeehaa!!

happy motoring!!
    Last edited by rvr; 01-04-2006 at 08:23 PM.
    rob

very nice car ,good job ...got the chance to drive a boxster a few weeks before my sci ,was gigglin like a school girl after that...still lookin for a 911

Quote Originally Posted by onaroll
    very nice car ,good job ...got the chance to drive a boxster a few weeks before my sci ,was gigglin like a school girl after that...still lookin for a 911
    thx!! most 911 guys will be quick to point out that boxsters and the 911 derivitives (993/996/997) are totally different animals... if you liked a boxster - you'll go nuts in the 911 series - just don't lift off in a turn as that 60/40 distribution will bite you hard... for a more balanced/forgiving ride, ck out the 944/968 - excellent track and street cars, but like the 911 series they could be a handful w/a std clutch, maybe w/tiptronic it'd be easier though I suppose...

kinda why I chose a 928 w/an AT (in addition to the V8, 50/50 weighting)... AT's are easier in the city stop and go, yet the benz trans (yep, porsche used benz transaxles in the 928) is so quick/firm it's still got a tight sports car feel... easy to install a simple hand control too...

anything but a friggin mini van!!! I hated them before my SCI, and still do - rather lay out in the cold and freeze to death than drive one of those things!!
    course, in socal that might take a while, hehehe...

rob

Congrats rvr.

Last edited by LaoziSailor; 01-04-2006 at 10:43 PM.
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

hey mini vans are cool have you seen mine

Hey Shawn,
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn01
    hey mini vans are cool have you seen mine
    I also like the Cayenne Turbo S minivan.
    Han Tacoma

Hey rvr,

This one is real close to yours. The rims are different.
    http://content2.us.porsche.com/prod/...Document&popup

Place your favourite shot of a Porsche as desktop background (Wallpaper) on your computer if you click on the "Experience" tab.
    Han Tacoma

Nice car buddy! Congrats..

Quote Originally Posted by LaoziSailor
    Hey rvr,

This one is real close to yours. The rims are different.
    http://content2.us.porsche.com/prod/...Document&popup

Place your favourite shot of a Porsche as desktop background (Wallpaper) on your computer if you click on the "Experience" tab.
    thx! cool pic!! thats what mine started out as... kinda morphed into it's current state after a few too many "while I'm at it's"

mini vans are cough fine cough - just not my thing course, if I"d been a minvan kind of guy before my SCI, I probably wouldn't have an SCI now either must be that darn adreniline junkie thing

if you are into porsches - http://www.rennlist.org/ is the premier pcar and bmw owners/enthusiests site... you can see what these things & owners really do (ie lots of 600hp twin turbos, supercharged 928's, etc), lots of track footage, owner stories, maint/purchasing info/specs, etc... been invaluable for my project...

that cayanne twin turbo (450hp/160mph) is a total beast!! and room for a chair or two!! but the new 560AMG benz is a real sleeper - looks like a regular AT/boring benzo, but w/630hp!! so you can terrorize 5 passengers at over 180mph in 1st class style!! and don't forget the new M5 BMW - a 400hp sports car w/4 doors and an AT also!! lots of AT equipped, chair accessible supercars on the market lately (at supercar prices too)!!

the LA auto show is this week, guess we'll have to swing by and ck out the latest prototypes and wicked fast/cool stuff that's gimp friendly
    rob