Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ''Ultraslick'' Trans board??----Quad transfer.

''Ultraslick'' Trans board??----Quad transfer.

Hi,,,,
    I have a ''basic'' wooden transfer board that I use[with lil help]]. It's old and seems to work ok. A friend who knows I ***recently began transfering informed me of the ''Ultra Slick'' board which she they use. So I Googled 'n came up with a vendor 'n read about it.

Questions:
    1--Can these be bought direct from maker,,,, does anyone have a website,,,,?
    2--Does anyone have one,,,,, are they better/easier to use than an old wooden board,,,,?

Thanx,,,Freej
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

***Re: ''Recent transfering.''
    This is meant to be a boost of confidence, help, for those who may have been, ''are'' in a situation as I ''was.''

I'm a C-4/5 quad, dependent on help. Re; for 20+ yrs, I was transfered in/out of bed[into chairs] by either 1 strong guy just lifting me up,,,, or, a 2 person lift [1 gets bear hug, other on legs]. They tryed to teach me transfering in rehab, but concluded I could not. Basically, I could only get in/out of chair/bed under those provisions----Thus, a lot of waiting, 'n missing out.
    Out of neccessity due to depleted human help[[ppl were not as available to help]], just being tired of being trapped, and some inspiration from others, SCI'ers,,,, I began trying to find my way on how to transfer using a board with ''minimul'' help/strain on the helper[[my lil 16 yr old niece or 70 yr old mom]]. After much failing and frustration I finally figured out a way and worked/improved on it.
    The past 18 mos,,,,,,, I transfer with a board with minimul help/strain on helper. It takes 2-4 mins, to get in/out of bed into my power/manual chair----soooo,,,,, I get in/out whenever ''I'' feel like it----NO more trapped, waiting.
    However,,,, I've yet to do this into my shower chair---problem yet unsolved.

So,,,,,, if the dependency 'n trapped situation that I ''was'' in apply's to you,,,,,,, with a lil desire, a form of motivation, 'n just being ready to try,,,,, it ''might'' be possible.

Hope it helps,,,,,Free

The company that makes them is CME (Composite Medical Equipment). I use them and they are worth the cost.

This use to be the website.
    http://www.ultraslick.com/

i bought one, i thought it sucked. accessible designs board is way better
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    accessible designs board is way better
    I concur.

I have not bought a board since I was in rehab. My step dad makes them for me The once we polyed (sp) works ok but the one we put Tiek (sp) oil on instead is great.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    i bought one, i thought it sucked. accessible designs board is way better
    I use an Accessible Design also and it's a good board but for slickness the CME is better. I wax all of them with turtle wax once a week. It makes a big difference.

Thanks for the reply's,,,, it looks even, like a preference thing.

Fuente,,,, being that you have had both: Besides ''suck'' for Ultraslick,,,, can you give a ''constructive'' comparison, soo I'm better informed,,,,,

Aly,,,,, I'm very interested on how your Dad makes your boards. Also,,, are you refering to applying a ''polyurethane'' finish,,,,, over wood oil on the board,,,,,,,

Az,,,,,,,,, the 2 boards I use now are old, but very smooth,,,no finish,,,, Think I should wax one,,,,,,,,

Slipperyness will help me,,,,,,,

Freej
    Last edited by FREEJ; 01-05-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FREEJ
    Thanks for the reply's,,,, it looks even, like a preference thing.

Fuente,,,, being that you have had both: Besides ''suck'' for Ultraslick,,,, can you give a ''constructive'' comparison, soo I'm better informed,,,,,

Aly,,,,, I'm very interested on how your Dad makes your boards. Also,,, are you refering to applying a ''polyurethane'' finish,,,,, over wood oil on the board,,,,,,,

Az,,,,,,,,, the 2 boards I use now are old, but very smooth,,,no finish,,,, Think I should wax one,,,,,,,,

Slipperyness will help me,,,,,,,

Freej
    THE HAnd holes go across the board rather than length wise, and its not nearly as slippery as the accessible designs board. ive had 3 ad boards before trying the ultraslick, after reading about it on here, i was not impressed.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

freej i use the BEASYTRANS. ITS A SLIDING BOARD WITH A ROUND DISC THAT GOES UNDER YOUR ASS AND THERE IS A GROOVE IN IT THAT SLIDES YOU RIGHT OVER. I BEEN USING IT FOR 4 YRS ITS GREAT. I HAVE 2 DIFFERENT SIZES I FOR GETTING OVER INTO A CAR AND 1 FOR GETTING INTO THE BED.I GOT MINE FROM YOUNGS MEDICAL SUPPLY IN P.A. I NEEDED HELP IN THE BEGINING BUT NOW DO IT MY SELF YOU JUST MIGHT NEED SOMEONE TO PUT IT UNDER YOU.IF YOU NEED MORE INFO JUST ASK. ANTY
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

FREEJ I FOUND THE SITE FOR YOU ITS http://www.beasytrans.com good luck anty
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness