Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Syringomyelia???

Question for Nurses or Dr. Young

Thanks Dr. Young for the information you provided on the treatment for SM. I appreciate this information. It gives me a possible guide regarding the options available for treatment. I have a question though. My syrinx is two distinct ones. One from T1-4 and then from T7-11. How does the fact that it is not continuous affect the treatment options? What I mean is if I end up having to have a shunt how will this separation affect this procedure?

Tanya

Thank you Dr. Young, I appreciate the post.

Banned
    Hi Steph, I am a newbe here. I am also a fellow Washingtonian, originally from San Francisco. I have a syrinx at the exact location as you. I work for a HMO that of course is going to do my surgery on 2/6. I hope you have options or can cut and paste Dr. Young's suggestions to your NS.
    Good to meet you, I will keep you in my prayers. Danya
    Last edited by Danyap; 01-13-2008 at 03:54 AM.

How to tell what is happening

Hello everyone.
    Thanks for this forum.
    I have had an arachnoid shunt installed at c7 sor a syrinx after I came back from a snowmobiling trip (my 4th as a para), when I took off my gloves, my hands were rubbed raw and I didnt feel it happening. This surgery was done in May of 2002. My original injury is T6-T12 due to an astrocytoma of the spine. The para deal happened in 1992.

I am working and still active. However, recently I have been feeling stuff which I havent felt before....i.e. a very prickly(this is more uncomfortable than one may think) like stinging in my right leg, (I havnt felt stuff in my right leg in years), my arms and hands have been tingling more recently, and the tingling in the torso has also increased. I had a cervical and thoracic mfi w/ and w/o contrast done in April. The report is that it was status quo. How is a person supposed to decide if something crazy is going on or what? Since I work and do have insurance (for which I am very grateful for), the co-pays for MRI's can get costly.
    You know I really am not worried about running a mile anymore, 'cause I can get in enough trouble from a chair!......The discomfort is what sucks! .....Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

In my opinion, the best procedure to try at first is meticulous removal of all adhesions between the arachnoid and the spinal cord with careful reconstruction of the subarachnoid space so that CSF can flow. Even without a shunt, this has been shown to eliminate the cyst in a majority of cases. This is the least invasive of the spinal cord. Many surgeons put in a shunt anyway. I am not certain that this is necessary. Since much previous experience suggests that a shunt along does not help and a shunt itself may cause some problems, this probably should be reserved as a second stage procedure if the first step is not effective. I think that unroofing the syrinx should be the third and backup step if the first two do not work.

Wise.
    What doctor should I consult with that takes the above approach mentioned? I have a shunt already, which helped short term but did not manage to prevent my syrinx from reoccurring.

Is a syrinx anything to worry about if it doesn't seem to be causing serious symptoms like pain?

Some syrinxes do not cause problems. Others do. As long as your neurologic status doesn't change, it is nothing to worry about. However, if you notice any changes in sensation (loss that is) or a weakening of muscles, you should let your doctor know.

CKF

What if you notice changes and multiple neurosurgeons say there is no syrinx and the area is not changing?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

What does the MRI say? And have you been worked up for other things that could be causing some of the changes? Have you had any trauma? Changed any medications?
    What are the changes that you notice and how long have they been going on?

CKF

I've had MRIs pretty much annually since my C-5 laminectomy in 1987, which was done to look if a syrinx was causing my pains, which began a month post-injury in 1981, and kept getting worse. No syrinx was found. Pains have continued getting worse since then, and MRI reports and many neurosurgeons since then have said there is an area with no cord that remains stable and is not a syrinx. One neurosurgeon has said it was, and that he'd untether it, though he didn't know if it would help (plus, he's not someone who returns calls well, among other things.) There are also degenerated disks above and below my C-4 to C-6 fusion, and a reverse curve of my cervical spine.

Meanwhile, my pains continue to worsen with time, and further reduce my upper back sensation and ability to function and concentrate.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.