Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I SO want an iBOT!

I SO want an iBOT!

Why do they have to be so damn expensive? I'm going to get one someday, somehow, and it's going to change my life. I'll get to go on the beach! I can't wait for that. I'll be able to go to my own basement if I want. Yesterday, my daughter's dad went to my basement to get something, and he discovered everything was in 3 inches of water. I had a bunch of stuff stored down there, but I don't remember what, and I can't even get down there to find out what has been destroyed. Today I went to a party at a friend's house and I had to be carried up, and then back down, more than 20 stairs. I hate that.

If I had an extra $30,000, I would get myself a shiny new iBOT, and all my problems would be solved.

But if I got one, I wonder if I'd feel like I'm in a freak show.

Is there anyone here who has one?

Not sure what you were talking about until I did a search. Looks pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure the jury is still out on the IBOT.

J&J should have never discontinued the I glide.

J.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz
    I'm pretty sure the jury is still out on the IBOT.
    Do you mean it hasn't been approved by the FDA yet? Cuz I know it already has been approved and is currently available for sale.

Holly IBOT batman!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

No no no, I mean the steps thing, J&J claims it will take up to a four inch curb...

How many steps are just 4 inches high?

It's suspect
    And the truth shall set you free.

Shannon - the IBOT is everything you're looking for.

My very good friend Jim Maclaren - www.jimmaclaren.com is a national spokesperson for the IBOT. He did a demonstration at Craig back in October and this thing climbed flights of stairs, albeit slowly, it raised him to eye level with everyone - think about being at a bar and actually 'standing' eye to eye. It went through water, sand, etc.

After talking to the J&J reps the total was about $26k and they were looking for more insurance related justification, approval and funding.

Overall, if I used a power chair this is what it would be. It was vastly improved over the older model in that it was sleek, comfortable, easy to use and very durable.

Good luck.

Chris, does your friend have his own iBOT? If so, is it the chair he uses most often?

Although I don't need a power chair, I'm so ready for an iBOT. I've been pushing a manual chair for 27 years, and I'm so ready for a change. I could have it if I had the money... Perhaps I will have to get a loan.

I didn't know that it only went up a 4 inch curb though. That's not good. Most steps are around 6 inches high, I'm guessing?

I can't understand why more people aren't buying these chairs. Is it just because they are so expensive? Also, I'm wondering if the price will most likely go down significantly in the next few years. I'm pretty impulsive, and it would suck to buy one now and then two years later, be able to buy one for $10,000.

Well... I think it's time I had a little test drive. I will call on Tuesday and see if I can get that set up.

Shannon - I'll comment more later but I mentioned 'flights of stairs' to dispel the 4 inch rumor. Not true from what I witnessed.

Yes, Jim uses it as his primary chair except when traveling.

Test drive is a good idea.

Hey Joe, here we have yet another example of price only being an issue in absence of value. Haha -

The primary reason I would not buy the ibot is because you cannot drive a car from the chair via an E-Z lock. Unless anyone knows otherwise...

I like the possibility of transfering from the chair to the driverseat and operating it by remote, but for most quads that is not an option.