Thread: Mike from Florida is still kickin'

Red face Mike from Florida is still kickin'

So to speak. I have had a rough time, having a colostomy. It is much better, but still dealing with constipation from pain meds. I now resort to a slug of prune juice as well as stool softeners and sometimes it liquefies, but come out. Thats the good news. The unknown here is: what can be done to get more consistency and not result in prune juice to get it to come out. The pain meds really slow me down... Is there any harm in what I am doing, that is, using whatever means necessary to keep it moving. Sometimes a little prune juice get the job done, sometimes it takes a little more? 4 stool softeners a day as well. I try to eat right???? What about Metamucil once a day??? Would this help or hurt? Thanks, Mike (Florida)
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

You should be getting 30 gm. of fiber daily, and can combine both bulk medications such as Metamucil or Citracel alone with diet to achieve this. Avoid more than occasional use of prunes as they are considered the same as senna for laxative effects. How much fluid are you taking daily? What type?

(KLD)

Cool Thanks Nursey

I try to drink as much water as possible.... but then I have accidents all over and that sucks. . But I would say 2-3 20oz water bottles at a min and sometimes double that? It just seems if I don't take some type of stimulant or gets very dry and thick and I start to feel bad. really bad sometimes. SO at this point, I would rather get it out even if it means a blow out... than have it in and feel sick. I am attempting to find a happy medium, with broccoli and foods that are ow in fiber. That is why I wonder why you are suggesting I try fiber. Doesnt fiber thicken and dry up stool?? Also, I thought that fiber the mix kind can form solids that might block my opening. I really am having trouble with information. 1 person says no fiber at all... the next say fibre?? Whats the real story? DO we know... or are we all Mything Here! Not to be a wise ass, but it seems like these aren't opinions that are solid for a COLOSTOMY situation. Certainly FIBRE FOR NORAL PARAPLEGIC PERSON... BUT WITH A COLOSTOMY? have never felt that I have accurate information.
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Fiber increases the rate of bowel peristalsis, so moves the stool more quickly through the colon, allowing less water absorption, so softer stool. It does not make the stool harder (except for the form of "fiber" called calcium polycarbophil, which is really not fiber at all).

Talk to the CWOCN or ET who you have worked with in managing your colostomy, but in my practice, a high fiber diet is recommended for people with SCI with and without colostomies. A high fiber diet also has the advantage of lower cholesterol, and since high cholesterol levels are common in people with SCI, a high fiber diet can help with this too.

(KLD)

Thanks Nursey

Thanks... this helps me understand much better. OK, Ill wrk in a litle metamuscle and go from there. I was rally worried that it might just form a solid a bloxck me up. Thanks, MSB. I think many are confused by what fibre does and or dos not do? Thanks, MSB.
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Try benifiber, it's completely taste and grit free. I use it and
    a friend of mine who also has a colostomy is the one who told
    me about it. Good luck.

i take mineral oil, fiber pills and cranberry pills..... i don't have any probs... good luck to ya'...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    You should be getting 30 gm. of fiber daily, and can combine both bulk medications such as Metamucil or Citracel alone with diet to achieve this. Avoid more than occasional use of prunes as they are considered the same as senna for laxative effects. How much fluid are you taking daily? What type?

(KLD)
    So taking prune juice puts me at risk for megacolon, same as senna?
    Daniel