Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partition hard drive

Partition hard drive

Is there a way to partition the hard drive without doing a complete format? Most of the instructions I have found start you off by doing a format but I really do not want to do that. My daughter's new computer has a 200 GB hard drive and I would like to set aside some of that space for me to download her games and photos to.

Can someone instruct me on how to do it or point me in the direction of instructions on how to do it?

Heath

Hi HeathQuad,

I think the only way to do that is with a software program called Partition Magic 8.0. Or similar software.

Partition Magic Review
    Partition Magic allows you to create, resize and merge partitions on your hard drive without destroying data. Partition Magic helps organize and protect your data, run multiple operating systems, convert file system types and fix partition table errors.

Features:

· Organize and protect the information on a hard drive
    · Easy, step-by-step wizards help with performing partitioning tasks
    · Preview the effects of partitioning a hard drive before implementing anything
    · Safely manage multiple operating systems
    · Partition hard drives as large as 80 GB
    · Access and partition external USB drives
    · Undelete a deleted partition from rescue disks
    · Remotely copy, move, delete, and create partitions across a TCP/IP connection
    · Create and run scripts to automate common partitioning tasks
    · Shred partitions to ensure the security of corporate data on retiring hard disks
    · Convert from one file system or partition type to another without losing data
    · Supports FAT, FAT32, NTFS, and Linux ext2/Swap file systems
    · Support for Windows XP
    It's expensive at $70 but you can download and try it for free at the above link. I don't know what limitations (if any) are put on the trial version and they never make it easy to find out! There's an OEM-type version (full new version) for $24.50 HERE

I just noticed that it has an 80GB limit.... Hmmmmm... That's strange... 80GBs is pretty small by today's standards. I'll look some more.

Since your daughter's HD is 200GBs maybe you're outta luck. You may have to bite the bullet and delete her current 200GB drive/partition, then partition the HD, then format C:/. You can create and format all the other partitions from within Windows XP after you get the OS installed.

Hopefully someone else has a better news for you.

Good luck.

EDIT:

I just found this at the Symantec website. It can partition hard drives up to 300GBs when the HD is less than 90% full. But I am confused. There's a Partition Magic 8.0 by PowerQuest and another by Symantec. I'm not sure if these are the same product or not. Weird.

Key Features
    Divides a single hard drive into two or more partitions
    Lets you safely run multiple operating systems on the same PC
    BootMagic™ makes it easy to switch between different operating systems
    Allows you to copy, move, resize, split, or merge partitions as needed?without losing data
    How-to wizards guide you step by step through the partitioning process
    Intuitive Windows®-based browser lets you find, copy and paste files in both Windows and Linux® partitions
    Allows you to create and modify partitions up to 300 GB*
    Supports USB 2.0, USB 1.1, and FireWire® external drives**
    Supports FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2, and Ext3 file systems
    Converts partitions among FAT, FAT32, and NTFS without losing data
    Allows you to enlarge an NTFS partition without restarting your computer
    Resizes NTFS system clusters to the most effective size

* Supports operations on partition sizes as large as 300 GB when partition is less than 90% full. Larger hard drives may require additional memory.

** For these devices, operation on partitions with no open files.
    Last edited by bob clark; 12-29-2005 at 04:28 PM.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Blog Entries
    Since it is new, NOW is the time to just jump in there and do it right. Make a primary and the rest extended partition, then a bunch of logical drives inside the extended.
    Don't waste money on PM, it is good but you have a new puter, just do it and you will be glad you did. You probably don't have a bunch of stuff to back up yet as it's new.

Here is the beauty of multiple partitions. You don't have to b/u to reload the OS, as it should be on it's own partition. Your b/u info is in the programs on another partition. You CAN set aside a partition to do backups to also, if ya want, in case you bumble something inside a program.

If you WANT suggestions as to partition size and number, I am willing to help you decide based on your needs/uses. Just holler.
    Also, there have been many posts on this same topic in the computer forum, read through them, we have told the tale many times.

BOBKAT, I think it is still the same thing, just symantec selling it, as a bundle option maybe?
    Who knows, maybe they bought it so they would have ONE PRODUCT THAT WORKS, lol!
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 12-29-2005 at 05:13 PM.

If it is going to require a format of the hard drive in order to do this I am going to be reluctant to pursue. Sony also does not ship a recovery disk with their system as their backup files and recovery files are already on a separate partition. If you ever need to recover the system it automatically pulls from the other partition.

I just do not know enough about computers in order to ensure that I have everything backed up properly and that I don't delete the recovery files in the process. I done a search but maybe I did not put in the proper keywords so I'll will do another but I'm not sure this is something I can do on my own. I may just be better to drop another hard drive into the system and then partition that one.

Thanks for your help.
    Heath Moran

Heath,

Your daugther's machine is a Sony® VAIO® RB53?

You already have a C: and a D: drive?

Partition Magic is now a Symantec product that DOES allow partitioning disks of up to 300GB -- $69.99
    Last edited by LaoziSailor; 12-29-2005 at 07:37 PM.
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

When Symantec bought Partition Magic, it also bought Drive Image -- sister/brother product -- (IMO) much better than their Norton Ghost product, but hey!, ...if you can't beat them you buy them out and make them disappear.
    Last edited by LaoziSailor; 12-29-2005 at 07:38 PM.
    Han Tacoma

Bob,
    Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    ...snip...
    I just noticed that it has an 80GB limit.... Hmmmmm... That's strange... 80GBs is pretty small by today's standards. I'll look some more.
    ...snip...
    ...the listing shows:
    ·Date added: 10/1/2002
    ·Last update: 12/14/2004

I believe the 48bit support for larger drives was added with SP2 and if Heath's daughter has the latest Sony, it'll come with WinXP Home and SP2.

EDIT:
    ...sorry didn't read your whole post. Yes, it is the same product see my post above.
    Last edited by LaoziSailor; 12-29-2005 at 07:49 PM.
    Han Tacoma

She has the Sony RB 40 and I do not have a D: drive in the my computer screen except for the DVD drive. According to Sony the drive does have a small partition that holds the recovery files. She does have windows XP 2 Home Edition. I really hate that the suppliers have quit shipping recovery disk with the computers. I just really do not want to go through the trouble of reformatting a brand-new computer without recovery disk. If I was a computer wiz but I'm not.

Heath Moran

Quote Originally Posted by HeathQuad
    She has the Sony RB 40 and I do not have a D: drive in the my computer screen except for the DVD drive. According to Sony the drive does have a small partition that holds the recovery files. She does have windows XP 2 Home Edition. I really hate that the suppliers have quit shipping recovery disk with the computers. I just really do not want to go through the trouble of reformatting a brand-new computer without recovery disk. If I was a computer wiz but I'm not.

Heath Moran
    Don't blame you. I still think PM would do the job and would call Sony support to confirm.
    Han Tacoma

I think it's almost insane that at the factory they don't add a 10% or 20% partition (or two of 'em) on a 200GB HD. It just makes so much sense to store mp3, jpg and video file libraries etc off the C:/ active drive/partition. Mixing up static files like mp3, jpg, and mpg etc in with the OS is just plain stupid. Too much fragmenting going on. And it takes like 30 seconds to create another partition. They should at least offer the consumer the option.

Call Sony tech suppport on the phone and they should "walk" you through the partition, format and clean installation process. Just make sure that you first backup everything that you want to save on removable media... CDRs or DVDs or spare HD etc.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria