Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiLite TR Flew Out Truck

TiLite TR Flew Out Truck

I can't say enough about my Tilite TR. I was going down a busy two lane road at 50 MPH with chair in back of my truck and tailgate down. The seat back was folded down, but apparently a gust of wind flipped the seat back up and the next thing I saw was my chair flipping down the middle of the road with cars dodging it from both lanes. My side guards flew off denting the bumper of an oncoming truck. A cop that had stopped found my pistol which I carry under my seat in the ditch and the seat cushion about 50 feet from chair. After inspecting the chair the only damage was a few scratches in the titanium frame, one of my Spinergy wheels was bent a little and some tears in the seat back upholstery. The frame wasn't bent at all and the chair rides just like it did before the wreck. I think an aluminum frame chair would have been totaled.
    THAT WON'T EVER HAPPEN AGAIN

Am I the only one that this has happened to?

Your Pistol?

You carry a pistol under the seat of your chair?

yikes, did the cop say anything about the pistol, do you have a cpl? Might want to find a holster that you can comfortably wear, I know I do. Might also want to put your pistol somewhere inside your truck while driving.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

no brakes on the chair? If you have no brakes on the chair what the hell where you doing with the tailgate down. I'm suprised you didn't ticketed for a unsecure load.

I have lost 2 chairs like that and a few cushions also.Mine where never with the tailgate down and no brakes.I take the cushions off the chair now and i make sure my chair is locked down with either the brakes on or a bungee cord around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myc0
    yikes, did the cop say anything about the pistol, do you have a cpl? Might want to find a holster that you can comfortably wear, I know I do. Might also want to put your pistol somewhere inside your truck while driving.

MycO, What kind of holster do you have?
    I have a concealed weapons permit. I told the Cop I have one but he didn't ask to see it.
    Last edited by tbdeaux; 12-29-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    no brakes on the chair? If you have no brakes on the chair what the hell where you doing with the tailgate down. I'm suprised you didn't ticketed for a unsecure load.
    The brakes were locked. The reason I had the tailgate down was because I had some 10' peaces of pipe in the back of the truck. We had extremely gusty winds yesterday and all I can figure is between the wind of going 50 mph and the strong gusts it must have got under the chair and made it sail like a kite. I have done that a few times before with no problem, but like I said it will never happen again. That was a sick feeling seeing my chair tumbling down the road at 50 MPH.
    Last edited by tbdeaux; 12-29-2005 at 03:01 PM.

tbdeaux - there was some holster discussion on this thread. I linked to one possible solution and posted a pic of another:
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49505&page=2

two words - bungee cords.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    tbdeaux - there was some holster discussion on this thread. I linked to one possible solution and posted a pic of another:
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49505&page=2

two words - bungee cords.
    Thanks

WOW! Thats all I can say
    L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
    ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
    Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
    The Wheelchair Mommy Blog