Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18 year old.....SCI Rookie

18 year old.....SCI Rookie

Hey guys! Merry Christmas and Happy holidays. I haven't been on the board a lot due to my job, no they haven't fired me yet.....that will be another thread.LOL

Yesterday I met an 18 year old at our local hospital who suffered a T-3 complete injury on his 18th b-day. He's having a very tough time of it. He was almost off the vent when he got a bad infection and had to be put back on. Needless to say, his spirits are very low. His nurses tell me that he doesn't want to even try to get off the vent anymore and just wants to give up and die. The sad thing is that he doesn't have strong support from his family. His mother didn't even allow the Dr.s to tell him the extent of his injuries until a week and a half ago! (He's been in since Sept) That news coincided with the infection.

What I need from you guys is information on paralyzed Chefs, adaptive equipment for Chefs or the culinary Arts. He wanted to be a chef prior to his injury and thinks that there's no way he can do it now.

I went through the entire speech about things being different now, but now necessarily bad, and I think they set in a little. I want to be able to SHOW him what he will be able to do re: cooking in the future.

I'm going to get to know him a little and then give him the "Cowboy up" speech!! LOL

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Dave

Dave,

How about getting some info from http://www.pa-legion.com/aboutus.shtml

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Where do I go once I'm in there? I did a little browsing, but couldn't find anything applicable. If you could direct me, I'd appreciate it!

Dave
    Dave

Totally possible. We didn't even modify our kitchen at all and I can still cook in it reasonably well. I cook for people all the time... sometimes its even good. If he had a few modifications like a roll-under stove top and work area theres nothing he couldn't do in the kitchen. Like I said, even without modifications its very possible to use a kitchen. albeit the stove top can be hard to navigate with a Huge pot that ya can't see over the top of, but a roll-under would solve that problem.
    Besides, if hes going to be a professional chef he'll eventually have people working under him who can do all the crap work like chopping and lifting and stuff. If I can help please email me.

I think he needs a listing of schools for chefs that accomodate the handicapped. He's not going to get hired as a chef with a reference from his family and if they're non-supportive any help will be a problem. If he can get into a good school for chefs he's on his way. If any strategy can be used to get his interest in fine cooking renewed, that would also be a big step in the right direction.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

Dave,

Sorry for being vague in my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herco16
    Where do I go once I'm in there? I did a little browsing, but couldn't find anything applicable. If you could direct me, I'd appreciate it!

Dave
    I would suggest giving them a call and discussing the situation with them. Hopefully they will provide additional options.
    © 105 The American Legion
    Department of Pennsylvania - All Rights Reserved
    Phone: 717-730-9100
    Fax: 717-975-2836
    Email: hq@pa-legion.com

Wormleysburg, PA 17043
    I had a quad friend living in my building and had been a chef before his SCI, he had to give up on that activity. The 18-year-old you are talking about is T3 so he has enough upper mobility to do certain things in the kitchen (I'm T4-T6 and can cook a bit here and there) although I wouldn't lift his hopes up too much when it comes to cooking for a whole crowd in a commercial setting (...sheesh, I hate to sound negative )
    Han Tacoma

Having said in my previous post take a look at http://canparaplegic.org/national/le...20040122203237

Kitchen Craft
    01/22/2004

From Total Access, Winter 2004

source: CPA

Chef and restaurateur Pascal Ribreau is savouring a triumphant return to the kitchen, made possible by tenacity and ingenious technology after his SCI.
    At the risk of sounding negative, this guy was already a chef and became a T8.

I think he uses a LEVO chair when in the kictchen so he can stand.
    Last edited by LaoziSailor; 12-27-2005 at 01:13 PM.
    Han Tacoma

One person that comes to my mind is CareCure's own Jimmy Mack who has his own Restaurant. I'm not sure of his level of SCI...Maybe he will see this and speak up...

Please tell that young man to take care...

Teena

Teena,
    Quote Originally Posted by teena
    One person that comes to my mind is CareCure's own Jimmy Mack who has his own Restaurant. I'm not sure of his level of SCI...Maybe he will see this and speak up...

Please tell that young man to take care...

Teena
    I tried emailing Jimmy Mack and I get "Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails.", he doesn't have PM either so it's like you said "Maybe he will see this and speak up..." [MODERATOR: ...hint, hint, hudge, nudge ]
    Han Tacoma

Show him the movie Murderball. even though he isn't a quad it
    is still inspiring. I feel so bad for him but it's really important that
    he takes his therapy seriously when the time comes. When I got
    hurt my family came and saw me a couple times over a two week
    period, then they all bailed. All I have had since then is my girlfriend
    and a couple friends helped me move home from rehab so I know
    what that's like. Good luck and introduce him to this site when he
    is ready.