Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: accessible parking question...

accessible parking question...

straight from the ADA...

Accessible Parking

When parking is provided for the public, designated accessible parking spaces must be provided, if doing so is readily achievable. An accessible parking space must have space for the vehicle and an additional space located either to the right or to the left of the space that serves as an access aisle. This aisle is needed to permit a person using a wheelchair, electric scooter, or other mobility device to get out of their car or van. A sign with the international symbol of accessibility must be located in front of the parking space and mounted high enough so it is not hidden by a vehicle parked in the space.

my question is.... when reading this it seems that EVERY accessible space should have an addt'l space for a chair or scooter...? if so, half of the spaces anywhere you go are in violation. am i reading this right?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

'if doing so is readily achievable' may be subject to interpretation by various municipalities.

In my area the aisle side accessible spots are designated as so. However, not all hc spots are the same.

I would venture that reasonable compliance is also a consideration when enacting/enforcing ADA rules/guidelines. Guidelines is the key.

Chris, thats the line that i knew would prolly be the key, but think about this.... with new construction, wouldn't it be ''readily achievable''? just a thought, thanks...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

What I have noticed is that 2 parking spaces will share a common wide aisle.
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

jazzy - I hear ya but with so many different counties, districts, cities, towns, municipalities, etc. ambiguity is on their side lol. Stricter rules and covenants probably wouldn't be mutually achievable and realistic in the name of 'progress'. In the end economics always trumps altruism. Just a simple fact of living in the USA and most developed countries.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    straight from the ADA...

Accessible Parking

my question is.... when reading this it seems that EVERY accessible space should have an addt'l space for a chair or scooter...? if so, half of the spaces anywhere you go are in violation. am i reading this right?
    Each space should be marked and have an access aisle. 36" for cars and 60" for van accessible.

"The access aisle shall be a minimum of 60 inches (1525 mm) wide for cars or a minimum of 96 inches (2440 mm) wide for vans. The accessible route connected to the access aisle at the front of the parking spaces shall be a minimum of 36 inches (915 mm). "

http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/ch...t/Parking.html

Many states have adopted ADAAG in the Uniform State Building code if not should be in local or state code.
    http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/ab...ng%20adaag.htm

I'm w/ Bob. In Dallas 'burbs growth is tremendous so all parking is new essentially. Almost all spots I see are shared aisleways between 2 spots. Guess they figure every other vehicle will have a w/c passenger or yu have to back in. Even van spots are shared aisles.

Costco, if my memory is right, is the best, has aisles on both sides of a spot. Van spots are only larger on one side. A brand new AMC theater near me has some parallel spots for vans too, kinda cool.

I'll try and remember to study as I get out and about this week, I'm on vacation. yeehah.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I know I'm not adding directly to this dialogue but I just wanted to vent my own little pet peeve re hc spots during northeast winters -

snow plow drivers seem to think that these spots are designed for storage of snow plowed from rest of parking lot!

Jeff,

I agree with you.

We have the same problem here (at least in Toronto) and I have spoken to the mall owners directly (some react, some don't). Chris is right when he refers to the different counties, municipalities, etc. interpreting things the way they want.

Sometimes, when there are no parking spots period, I park my car diagonally across two (2) spots in the population-at-large parking area and with my "disabled" sticker on the dashboard I have yet to encounter a problem. Then again, this is Toronto and other places will be different.

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

If all the H/C spots are full in a parking lot...is it fair for me to take the last AB spot? Im takin up the last parking spot in a lot,as im wheelin in theres an open H/C spot that wasnt there when i pulled in and a guy drivin around lookin for a place to park..What to do?