Thread: Question for the dr. or SCI nurse please

Question for the dr. or SCI nurse please

I have severe myelomalacia from C2-7 from a previous AVM injury. Since May of this year, both legs, the left leg in particular, have gotten progressively weaker. I can only walk for 5 minutes before my left leg starts dragging, and my right leg becomes weak. Could this be due to the myelomalacia?
    Last edited by scipatient; 12-25-2005 at 05:55 AM.

Edited to add

I've had an MRI and myelogram of my low back, and both came out normal, so it's not lumbar related. Thanks in advance!

Bumping to the top for the dr. or nurse

It sounds from a symptom perspective that it could be your myelomalacia, but the MRI is OK. Perhaps something else neurological related, and not the myelomalacia. Get checked out by your neurologist. Your symptoms don't sound right.

JM

Thanks SCI nurse. My MRI did show severe myelomalacia from C2-C7, but none in the lumbar area. I am seeing my neurologist Wednesday for an hour long consultation. Appreciate you responding on the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by scipatient
    I have severe myelomalacia from C2-7 from a previous AVM injury. Since May of this year, both legs, the left leg in particular, have gotten progressively weaker. I can only walk for 5 minutes before my left leg starts dragging, and my right leg becomes weak. Could this be due to the myelomalacia?
    scipatient, do you have any change in your sensations in the two legs? How is your bladder and have their been any changes? Myelomalacia is simply a descriptive term indicating that you have had damage to your spinal cord (in latin, it means that your white matter look bad). It should not be a cause of progressive motor loss. The fact that it involves both legs (although the left more than the right initially) suggests that it is something that is affecting the spinal cord as opposed to a root or peripheral nerve. Something is going on and I agree with JM that you need to check this out with your neurologist and find out if something has changed in your spinal cord. A detailed neurological examination for the presence of spasticity change and reflex change, an MRI to rule the possibility of the disc compressing on the spinal cord or cauda equina, and possibly an EMG test of the muscles are indicated.

Wise.

Thanks Dr. Young for your response. I have had some episodes of loss of bladder control at night. I saw my neurologist today, and he seems to think it could be either dynamic compression, or "late myelopathy" due to the atrophy of my cord. My neurosurgeon is offering to do a corpectomy, which I'm considering. My neurologist is 50/50 on whether I should do it, and thinks I should get a second opinion.
    Last edited by scipatient; 12-29-2005 at 04:49 AM.