Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Methylprednisolone soon to be replaced as treatment of choice for Acutes???

Exclamation Methylprednisolone soon to be replaced as treatment of choice for Acutes???

Source: Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience Released: Thu 15-Dec-2005, 14:15 ET
    Printer-friendly Version Erythropoietin Holds Promise in the Treatment of Spinal Cord Injury

Libraries
    Medical News Keywords
    SPINAL CORD INJURY, SCI TREATMENT AND RECOVERY, NEURODEVELOPMENT, NEUROPROTECTION Contact Information
    Available for logged-in reporters onlyDescription
    Spinal cord injury is a two-step process. The primary injury is mechanical, resulting from impact, compression or some other insult to the spinal column. The secondary injury is biochemical, as cellular reactions cause tissue destruction. By interrupting this second process, it may be possible to speed healing and minimize permanent effects.

Newswise — Spinal cord injury (SCI) is a two-step process. The primary injury is mechanical, resulting from impact, compression or some other insult to the spinal column. The secondary injury is biochemical, as cellular reactions cause tissue destruction. By interrupting this second process, it may be possible to speed healing and minimize permanent effects.
    In a paper published in the current issue of Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, researchers from the Anadolu Cinar Hospital and the GATA Haydarpasa Research and Training Hospital, both in Istanbul, Turkey, found that erythropoietin improves neurological recovery, and may be more effective than the current standard treatment.

Methylprednisolone is the accepted therapeutic treatment for SCI, but it is marginally effective in most cases. Erythropoietin stimulates proliferation and growth of erythroid cells and is involved in neurodevelopment and neuroprotection. It has been studied in brain injuries, but not in SCI.
    A population of rats was divided into four groups. All four groups had their spinal cord exposed via laminectomy. The first group of 10 had no further treatment and was closed normally. Of the 60 rats remaining, all were surgically injured by impact. These 60 were divided into 3 groups of 20 that received no medication (NM), standard methylprednisolone (MP) therapy, and treatment with human recombinant erythropoietin (EP), respectively.
    Using a swimming test to gauge neurological function, the group receiving EP recovered more than the either the NM or the MP group. In addition, while the MP group showed more recovery than the NM group, it was never statistically significant in this study.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/516835/?sc=rsmn

Sorry Dr. Young.........

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Methylprednisolone soon to be replaced as treatment of choice for Acutes???
    I doubt it. If anything, it would be MP + EPO.

Sorry Dr. Young.........
    Faye, why the apology? I would be very happy indeed if a therapy were to be shown to be better than MP for spinal cord injury. Wise.

i had Methylprednisolone in a drip IV within 15 minutes of my injury, i don't know for certain if it helped sigificantly because i'm not a doctor, but i like to think it did.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Faye, why the apology? I would be very happy indeed if a therapy were to be shown to be better than MP for spinal cord injury. Wise.
    In all due respects Dr. Young it was not shown just that the new treatment is better, but that MP for Traumatic injury was shown to be statistically ineffective.

Here we have a whole science that grew on the premise that MP worked.

Never the less if this new experiment is true we have created a whole new huge industry based on a false hope.
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

Sorry Monique

Quote Originally Posted by Monique
    I doubt it. If anything, it would be MP + EPO.
    Sorry Monique, if MP is shown not to be statistically effective as in this study then why bother with it?

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob
    In all due respects Dr. Young it was not shown just that the new treatment is better, but that MP for Traumatic injury was shown to be statistically ineffective.

Here we have a whole science that grew on the premise that MP worked.

Never the less if this new experiment is true we have created a whole new huge industry based on a false hope.
    Bob,

Before you start making these kinds of statements, I suggest that you read the paper and know something more about the study that is being reported. have you read the paper? On what basis are you making these statements? Do you know the animal model in which these results came from, the dose of the MP that was used?

Wise.

Bob,

Before you start making these kinds of statements, I suggest that you read the paper and know something more about the study that is being reported. have you read the paper? On what basis are you making these statements? Do you know the animal model in which these results came from, the dose of the MP that was used?

Wise.
    Peer review would catch researchers using an ineffective dose. Unless we need to start doubting all published studies now that Hwang's case has been exposed....?!?!? Even those of 15 years ago

Young does ASCR.

Sorry Monique, if MP is shown not to be statistically effective as in this study then why bother with it?
    MP was never promoted as a cure all.
    BUT..when given in the IV recommended dosage..it helps more then anything else available..except decompression surgery. And often it is used before the decompression and those patients also have a better return of function. I have seen this with my own eyes..and have heard accounts from thousands of SCI dog owners. So this is an animal study of EPO..if it is more effective..celebrate..but it wasn't in the loop when MP studies were done.

Should we throw bombs at Fleming because more effective antibiotics have been discovered?

And bob..there is NO respect in your post.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Bob,

Wise.
    he is worse than me.