Thread: Supra-Pubic Catheter

Supra-Pubic Catheter

Greetings,
    Let me introduce myself. My name is Julie, age 56, single but involved, living in Florida, I moved down here from Vermont two years ago. I am a C5/6 quad due to a herniated disc, 10 years ago.
    I would like to get some feedback on a procedure I am having done Monday. I am having a supra-pubic catheter inserted. For the past year, I have been having problems with my indwelling Foley catheter. I got to the point that I was leaking more than I was putting in the bag. So can any of you give me the lowdown, good, bad or ugly, about a supra-pubic catheter. Thanks.

Julie Z

do a search on the posts that have suprapubic in the subject
    from my knowledge pros are:
    1. always drained
    2. no schedule
    3. unlimited fluid consumption
    4. no cath popping off (for men)
    cons:
    1. causes long term bladder shrinkage
    2. increased chance of bladder cancer
    3. must change it every month by trained professional
    4. skin issues at site
    5. indwelling cath leads to potential infection
    just my thoughts

I HAVE HAD A SUPRA PUBIC CATHETER SINCE OCT.2001.MY WIFE OR NURSE CHANGES MINE.(NO DIFFERENT THAN FOLEY REALLY) I HAVE HAD SOME MINIMAL IRRITATION AROUND THE SITE BUT NOTHING SERIOUS,MY DOC JUST HAD ME CHANGE TO A NON LATEX TYPE CATHETER.(THIS SUNDAY 1/12)MY DOC AT CRAIG HOSPITAL RECOMENDED THE SUPRA PUBIC OVER THE FOLEY.

[This message was edited by mustangc5 on 01-10-03 at 21:15.]

Crags, since she has already been using an indwelling urethral catheter, there is really little difference for most of the items you list.

The major advantages for females for a suprapubic is that after menopause the mucosa of the urethra (like the vagina) thins and produces less mucous. This makes it more difficult to maintain a urethral seal around the catheter and leakage is more common. Taking ERT may help help with this some, but of course this is a controversial topic. The other issue is that in many women who use urethral catheters for years, it is not uncommon to develop a "patulous" urethra (stretched out urethra) and the two combined make leakage much more common, esp. after 20 years or so.

It will remain just as important to get annual screening for bladder cancer with the suprapubic, just as with the uretheral catheter (which I assume you have used longer than 5 years).

Many people who drink plenty of fluids can go 6 weeks between catheter changes, and after the first 4-6 weeks you can learn to change this yourself (or your caregiver can). It does not require a change by a physician or licensed nurse.

Keep the pubic hairs around the stoma clipped very short for at least 1" around the catheter. This will prevent the hairs getting pulled into the bladder by the catheter, creating a nidus for some very interestingly shaped stones!

(KLD)

I have had an SP catheter in place for roughly four years and never had any real problems. We irrigate the catheter every other day (debatable upon who you talk to whether you should irrigate or not) and change the catheter every six weeks. I am taking Ditropan XL as my only bladder medication, but I know some people (I did for a short period a while back) take imipramine as well as it works a little better at the bladder neck if you have problems with leakage. All in all, the SP tube has worked well for me.

Juliez, guess by now you have the SP, I'd had mine for over 20 years. I get annual scopes so far Doctors have been impressed. I take Ditropan 5mg 3x daily have it changed by my wife every 4-6 weeks. Only problem I've really had is Urine will take the easyest way out so if you lay on or kink the catheter out the urethra it goes.

"Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"