Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voc Rehab?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Voc Rehab?

In another post in the "life" section, Kristi mentions that her state's (or city or county??) vocational rehab department is helping to pay for truck modifications for her. Does anyone know if California has a similar program? I've been injured 8 years, and have never heard of such a program, except for through the Veteran's Administration.

My friends cannot believe that the state or some government entity does not help with these costs.

If they did, would I have to meet some kind of income requirements?

Where can I go to get more information on this kind of thing?

Thanks!

You can go to your local state government listings and find DVR. Here is Jersey is called work forced DVr. I don't know in CA.
    "Your unhappiness is a result of your attitude, which you can change.You can continue to brood over what went wrong, or you can turn around and contemplate what can go right in the future. You don’t have to be miserable unless you enjoy misery."

Some states are better than others. South Dakota is VERY good. They are also paying ALL my schooling. I didn't qualify for vehicle funding until after the age of 24 when I wasn't under my parents income anymore. They didn't want me to get the truck, but when we made the case that the funding is really not much more than modifying a van they agreed.

South Dakota used to do these houses that were totally wheelchair accessible. You just had to supply/buy the land and prisoner's built it, but that was one of Janklow's programs so I don't know if that's still in effect. If it is that might be one of my future goals to get.

My junior year in high school is when I started meeting with Voc Rehab to talk about colleges, etc. They are on the ball in SD. Good luck in finding something.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

I think it maybe depends on who is responsible for your accident
    like an insurance company or workman's comp company. I got hurt
    on the job so workman's comp is taking care of me now. They have
    bought all my equipment, comped me every month, payed all my
    medical expenses, reimbursed me for everything I have to purchase
    as a result of being injured, and they will pay for any schooling or
    adaptions to my home or vehicle. There is no way I could get regular
    health insurance to pay for all these things. It helps to have a good
    attorney too. Who ever is primarily responsible for your accident, I
    would think is obligated to pay for adaptions to your home or car.
    Just raise hell with someone enough and you'll get anything.

Matt

in oklahoma, they are paying for my tuition and fees, and books, adapted my car, and getting a evolv glider standing frame in a few weeks.
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

DRS helped me a little. They paid for a small amount of education. (I had to know the loop holes to get them to pay and by then I was almost done, curretly fighting to get them to help with grad school.) They will help modify a vehicle but ony if it is bought brand new. My being on medicaid made that null since they only allow you to own a vehicle that is worth $3,000 or less. Find out the rules to all of the programs you are uisng because what one may help you with could get you dropped from another.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

DRS paid for my grad school and 2 computers. They're not helping me with transportation at this time, but getting the degree helped me get a job to afford my own wheels.

In CA, DVR may help to pay for your van or car modifications, but you would have to prove that this is REQUIRED for you to work or go to school, and would need to have a DVR vocational plan/case in place that addressed this need. They are less and less likely to approve vehicles now days as they consider accessible buses and paratransit sufficient...so unless you go to school or work someplace not served by any other accessible transportation, you are unlikely to get help with a van. They do not pay for home modifications in CA, but will pay for vocational retraining, some workplace needs (such as personal computers) and college (not always graduate school though).

You can own a home and a vehicle of any value in CA and still be eligible for Medi-Cal, but cannot have more than $2,000 in other assets.

You can also get this type of information through your local ILC.

(KLD)

CJO, how did you get them to help you with grad school? Where are you from? They did give me a $2,000 grant for my laptop and Dragon software.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni