Thread: Expert Advice needed - Specialization of doctor-s to lead a spinal injuries centre

Exclamation Expert Advice needed - Specialization of doctor-s to lead a spinal injuries centre

Dear friends,

I would like to ask doctors, therapists and other personell who take part in this forum to tell their opinion regarding the above subject.

In my country total population is 1million. A new spinal injuries centre is built here and as president of the Cyprus Paraplegics Organization I would like to know what doctors should be employed so that the centre will be able to offer the best possible care for paraplegics and quadroplegics. Currently the spinal injuries centre which is now operating has only 1 pathologist with spinal cord injuries specialization in stock mandevile hospital in UK.

Thanks for your help.

Rehabilitation physicians are called physiatrists (can be board certified in that) and can also do a subspeciality in spinal cord injury. That is where I would start.

JM

I would just add that most often there are physiatrists as the main physicians, but you should also have expert consultants who are trained in spinal cord injury care related to neurosurgery, neurology, orthopedics, and urology.

(KLD)