Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Vitaglide comments/questions

New Vitaglide comments/questions

I just received my new Vitaglide and assembled it yesterday and here are a few comments as well as a couple questions for other owners.

I ordered the Vitaglide from Planet Mobility, which is where I got my Uppertone machine from last year. They ship for free so overall it was the best deal I could find. My Uppertone was shipped as a Physical Therapy Appliance so there was only an $86 brokerage fee and import charges to ship it across the border. However, despite being assured that the Vitaglide would be labeled the same it was labeled as Medical Exercise Equipment, which resulted in me being charged about $60 for brokerage fees and about $130 (Canadian) for GST/PST taxes.

It took about five to six weeks to arrive after ordering it. Apparently this was because the warehouse where the Vitaglide was being shipped from in Florida had been put way behind schedule by the hurricane.

The Vitaglide came with the worst assembly instructions I have ever seen. It should have been much easier to put together than it was but it was poorly labeled and written. While it is possible for one AB mechanically competent person to put together I would suggest using two if possible.

On the positive side, the Vitaglide is way better made than I expected to be and is much sturdier than it appears in the pictures of the company's web site or brochures. I ordered both the tri-pins and the gloves but luckily the tri-pins alone work well with my C6 hands so I am able to use this machine completely independently.

It is a little bit louder than I expected or would like but not too bad. On the lowest resistance level it operates quite smoothly and fairly quietly. However, as resistance levels increase it gets progressively louder and is nowhere near as smooth. Adding resistance seems to make it produce a rubbing/scraping type of noise that doesn't sound right. Has anybody else who owns a Vitaglide noticed this? Maybe it needs to be adjusted or lubricated?

call them, doesnt sound rite
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

fuente,

What type of noises does your Vitaglide make? Does it increase with resistance?

Jeff,

My vitaglide makes similar noises; that's the biggest negative to this machine. I haven't tried WD-40, but the noise sounds like it's due to vibration, rather than friction.

I wear earphones to drown out the sound; but I'm always concerned that I'm annoying others, including my neighbors.

jeff, i coated everything w/ 3m dry silicone. to me its no louder than any other workout equipment...........

enjoy it. really hits frt/rear delts, upper back, traps and biceps.....i use it more for anerobic workout than aerobic.. i really like it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I emailed RMT with the following comments:

Hello,

I just received my new Vitaglide and assembled it yesterday and here are a few comments as well as a couple questions.

The Vitaglide came with the worst assembly instructions I have ever seen. It should have been much easier to put together than it was but it was poorly labelled and written.

On the positive side, the Vitaglide is better made than I expected to be and is much sturdier than it appears in the pictures of the company's web site or brochures. I ordered both the tri-pins and the gloves but luckily the tri-pins alone work well with my C6 quadriplegic hands so I am able to use this machine completely independently.

It is a little bit louder than I expected or would like but not too bad. On the lowest resistance level it operates quite smoothly and fairly quietly. However, as resistance levels increase it gets progressively louder and is nowhere near as smooth. Adding any resistance seems to make it produce a rubbing/scraping type of noise that doesn't sound right. Is this normal? Does this indicate that it needs to be adjusted or lubricated?

Here is the reply I received:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your email and for your comments about the VitaGlide.

Your remarks about the instruction manual are spot on. We attempted to produce an icon driven instruction card to satisfy international customers. We are not happy with the results either and are currently in the process of revising these instructions.

Regarding the rubbing noise, that is the way resistance is applied, with the brake shoes pushing against the brake wheel. You definitely do not want to lubricate the brake wheel. This noise should subside a bit as the machine breaks in and any possible uneven areas on the brake shoes are worn down.

Thanks again for your comments and please keep them coming. We want to continually improve this product and feedback from the field is much better that what we can simulate in our factory.

Best Regards,

John Caden
    RehaMed International
    Miami
    , FL
    305-255-1400

I was wondering what everything thought of this equiptment? Are you happy with your purchase, do you find u use it a lot? Is it something you would recommend to others?

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0rty
    I was wondering what everything thought of this equiptment? Are you happy with your purchase, do you find u use it a lot? Is it something you would recommend to others?
    yes great piece. i bought one about 1mth after release., excelent
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Jeff what do you mean by brokerage fee?

When anything over about $20 bought in the US crosses the border it is assessed for taxes. If applicable GST and/or PST are charged on delivery. The brokerage fee is charged to cover the cost of having someone make that assessment. Shippers that use a third party broker result in a higher fee. Other use their own (Amazon.com maybe?) and have lower broker fees.