View Poll Results: What about a “Cure” in 2006?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe there will be breakthroughs for a cure for chronic SCI

19 8.96%
  • I believe there will be breakthroughs for a cure for acute SCI

26 12.26%
  • All of the above

48 22.64%
  • None of the above

119 56.13%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What about a “Cure” in 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    DA,

No disrespect towards you, but MP has yet to even come up with an effective acute strategy. They are getting left behind in the world of "real results".

Some CC members have been watching MP since 1985.
    an acute cure will help acute only. a chronic cure helps both acute and chronic.

don't forget the private companys getting involved. 06 will be an exciting year.

What I read was for the kind of problems we have,"incompletes" like the feet hurting so bad, balance, to numerous to list all of em that most of the thing's like this would be the last ones that they could fix. It had said that they were focusing more on the completes, which is fine with me!!!!!!!! would be nice if they could get back what I Do have.

I think I am going to agree with Mr. Steven Edwards here and wait for Dr. Young's feedback. I think that we are not in the eyes of the researchers and clearly do not see what they see. I also believe there is a lot going on that the care cure forum does not know about. However, I do believe that there will be a cure by 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell

Sorry to go slightly off topic but Rehab and any other C5-6-7 injuries - have you ever considered tendon transfer surgery to restore at least 40% hand function?

Cheers to the scientists/researchers in '06 Ok -
    Chris.....I have since reading your other thread. I'm one year post and I think my hands are still improving. Would love to compare function with other quads. Mine don't seem as closed or useless as older quads I met in rehab.

Subject for another thread.........
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Question Random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    an acute cure will help acute only. a chronic cure helps both acute and chronic.
    I believe I agree, but I have just some random thoughts here:

Acute vs. Chronic;
    If an SCI is due to damage of neurons then we have to make neurons to fix the problem, I guess we all can agree on that one. But if “I” was, lets say some kind of a combo cell-therapy supposedly finding my way into the damaged area within a injured spinal cord – on my way into the problem area – would I have been thinking, “is this an acute or is this a chronic” case? I doubt it; I guess I would swim as fast as I could into the problem area and have the problem fixed. Aren’t acute and chronics just words? And neurons are neurons regardless what we name the situation if the objective is to regenerate an injured spinal cord?

Complete vs. Incomplete;
    Some have written that completes are more likely to be in clinical trials first due to it can be easier to prove healing and progress in those. - On the other hand some says incomplete are the first one to go into clinical trials and thereby finding cures for due to they could have preserved more functions “non-use etc.” and thereby could be easier to fix? (Above that; who’s first I gives a rat’s ass about as long as they start with something but that’s not my point here).

Say for me (and many of us here); I’m incomplete. I have both damages to the neurons and the nerve fibres (axons).
    First; some places below my injury I’m “normal”, meaning some parts of my spinal cord signal pathways are working.
    Secondly; other parts of my spinal cord is incomplete, there is some damage to the signal pathways, damage to the axons, this way I am short-circuited due to some of the myelin is missing, kind of what the case can be with MS patients. And also some of the fibres are cut off directly.
    Thirdly; and above that some parts of my spinal cord damage is complete as it can be. No signals or communication what so ever passes this injury site.

Where does that live me (us)? I mean since we are both, normal, incomplete and complete at the same time? I think incomplete and complete also are just words. Either there will be a regenerative therapy’s to fix neurons and axons or there will not be.

In addition some “completes” also does not have much of the often discussed scare tissue so this factor in some cases can be just a little problem for a cure. And when it comes to scare tissue why do not researchers perform research especially on that topic. Run some tests on it in Labs, how difficult can it be – just soak up the scare tissue and create some US Marine super axons to run trough it. I guess more of this should have been done in labs then what the fact seams to be today.

To achieve all this I believe we need a combo regenerative therapy say with stem cells, growth and inhibitor factors and other stuff I don’t have a clue about. We also need to have the researchers study embryonic stem cells much more than the fact is today since they are the only cells that have produced working neurons in adult individuals so far.

And how difficult can it be as I have indicated in other threads; I’ve seen spinal cords and they don’t look that complex. - We are building complex, high tech and huge oil platforms which we place on 300m ocean depths and then drill in all kinds of directions further 3000m down into the sedimentary layers exactly on the square centimetre where we want the “straw” to be placed. In addition we send people in space, to the moon and in orbits around the earth like it is the most natural thing to do. We also have communication fibre cables running across an in-between many of the continents here on earth (like we are typing from all over the world here on CC), and if something is wrong with those cables we just send a ROV down to the seabed and fix it just like that. In addition we have mathematicians that can calculate what ever we want to do and foresee the end result long time before any project or mission is ever put out in real world actions.

There is something wrong here – it can’t be that difficult to restore a tiny little spinal cord as some wants us to believe? We are screwed. Leif

2010....feel bad to hear that cure is still far 6 to 7 years but i really hope symp will turn the wave .....too long to wait.... i really feel that 2006 will be reaching not step by step progress but at higher speeds ....how to evoke govt. .........i wonder.
    Last edited by Shwetarose; 12-20-2005 at 09:04 AM.

I had to vote "none of the above", much as my gut wants to believe that a breakthrough is just around the corner. I don't know what I really base my conclusion on but I think it will be at least another couple of years before we are at that point of light at the end of the tunnel. That doesn't mean though that we shouldn't push any less for the breakthrough!

Just a couple of good illustrations showing the spinal cord, the segments, nerve roots etc.