View Poll Results: What about a “Cure” in 2006?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe there will be breakthroughs for a cure for chronic SCI

19 8.96%
  • I believe there will be breakthroughs for a cure for acute SCI

26 12.26%
  • All of the above

48 22.64%
  • None of the above

119 56.13%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What about a “Cure” in 2006?

The technology is there, they just have to apply it. As much as I rag on mp, mp is the one to watch in 06.

Cjo, Agree – the old polls would have been an interesting read, please link them up when you have time.

Schmeky. Agree again, it will take a few years to fix us I believe but it seams like 2006 could be a interesting year, especially for acute SCI and some types of SCI where mostly the axons are damaged - I’m thinking of remyelination. A partial treatment and some improvement are not too bad either.

-And like DA indicates here, there could be several approaches.
    Last edited by Leif; 12-19-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Seems like things move sooooo slowly, and since I got hurt a little over 3 yrs ago doesn't seem like much has taken place in the way of a cure. I know since I am a incomplete that people like me would be the last to see any real kind of treatment.
    So we got to learn to live the best and the happiest way we can with what we have right now. I was pretty down for a while but I have got to where I just go on and try to do everything to my best, if I fail... Oh well I'll just try again.

But I keep hoping that somekind of treatment will be found for all the people that are ALOT worse off than I am!!!!!!!!! Will be a Great day when people stand up and throw their chairs in the scrap yard!

I voted for acute - I think its more likely but I say that more in hope than with hard evidence. There are so many variables.

I tend to agree with Schmecky - a 'cure' is a long way off........hopefully treatments to limit the extent of an injury or restore partial function/sensation are not.

I'd love to be out of the chair but show me a guaranteed treatment which restores my hand function and I'll hand over 100k

Actually Duge - as an incomplete I'd always assumed I'd be at the front of the queue where science is concerned as, theoretically, I have more return to 'work with'. Am I being naive?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

No, RR, think your roght on,

"Actually Duge - as an incomplete I'd always assumed I'd be at the front of the queue where science is concerned as, theoretically, I have more return to 'work with'. Am I being naive?"
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    The technology is there, they just have to apply it. As much as I rag on mp, mp is the one to watch in 06.
    DA,

No disrespect towards you, but MP has yet to even come up with an effective acute strategy. They are getting left behind in the world of "real results".

Some CC members have been watching MP since 1985.

I don't believe there will be a cure until '09 or '10, when we have a new
    president and the embryonic stem cell research ban is completely lifted.
    '06 is too soon to predict a cure I think. I hope i'm wrong but it's going
    to be a while before this country is relaxed on the subject.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    as an incomplete I'd always assumed I'd be at the front of the queue where science is concerned as, theoretically, I have more return to 'work with'. Am I being naive?
    Your right,as an incomplete you have a way better shot than us completes at gettin some kinda fix,whatever it may be.Seems like most of the work being done is for inc's and acute injuries..

As for 2006,i wish...I wont be holding my breath thats for sure.I think the '5yrs' is up on the last time i was told '5yrs'..time to reset my 'cure clock' and put it back in my closet for another 5yrs..

Progress in '06 will be incremental to '05 imo. Not enough money and more importantly clinical trial infrastructure in place as of yet. Like DA I say MP has potential but I like Hans K, Mark T, Steven S and Lisa M to announce fairly significant improvements for acutes - although I'm equally hopeful but not as confident for chronics.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but Rehab and any other C5-6-7 injuries - have you ever considered tendon transfer surgery to restore at least 40% hand function?

Cheers to the scientists/researchers in '06 Ok -

I'm waiting before voting. From the ISCITT program for tonight:

Panel Discussion: Most Promising and Feasible Therapy for Spinal Cord Injury Clinical Trials
    Panel Chair: Wise YOUNG (New Jersey, USA) and Kwok-Fai SO (Hong Kong SAR, China)
    When Dr. Young gives a report on this panel discussion, I think (hope) there will be reason to change minds.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.