Thread: This seems hard to swallow

This seems hard to swallow

Turning chronic pain from being a terrible experience into something pleasant. The old theory of mind over matter I suppose, but it seems so very unlikely. Read on...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/st...665836,00.html

aches

"could overcome unrelenting aches by using mental exercises to subdue their brain's reaction to pain signals."

aches is the key word here
    cauda equina

metro,

or maybe "flakes" is the key word also. There is no real time functional MRI that can do this kind of stuff. you need tensor analysis etc to make a serious effort at tracking nerve connections, and even then it is like walking through a snowstorm half blind. Still, its nice to see people study pain, even if they cannot shed the idea it is all fictional.

First one must find out exactly where the rostral anterior cingulate cortex..RACC is?

It makes you wonder though if maybe..just maybe this type of activity could help a bit. We send all types of stuff into our bodies that have no idea where RACC is either to turn it off. I wonder.

Maybe we should give it a try once we figure out what the hell it is and what to concentrate on. I wonder if you must concentrate on this ALL the time..or the pain just shoots right back up.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

....do you know how much money i could save not buying pot, if chronic central pain was mind over matter?

I just saw the guy interviewed on Fox. He made it sound like a simple exercise in bio-feedback. That an area of brain lit up like a lightbulb on the special real-time MRI machine and by thinking certain thoughts you could turn it off. They showed example pictures of the MRIs. It's still in trials or some such hooey. Just like everything else, it might work for some but for the vast majority it won't. Or it will take 10% of a mountain's worth of pain away. Big deal. It's like the pharmaceutical companies. Nothing ever works 100%. Damn, if you can get a 50% efficacy rate on any pharmaceutical you're doing great. Except for Cipro... that does work for me 100%.... so far.

I'm still waiting for a good bio-feedback machine to become affordable. I wonder when they'll start marketing these gazillion dollar MRI machines for home use!
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    ....do you know how much money i could save not buying pot, if chronic central pain was mind over matter?
    If you think about it though..what does pot do?
    It numbs your brain..and this RACC must be part of the numbing. Just like any opiates too. It's all a cover up right? Nothing really deals with the part of the body where the pain is except acupuncture and electrical stimulus etc. All the drugs do is cover up.
    Then when the drug is gone..wala..it's back and often more intense then before the drug..or the acupuncture or the electricity.

It would be nice to cover it up like this..but I bet once you just stop concentrating WALA.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

actually i think pot does more than numb the brain for the lucky people it works on. pain treatment is very specialized, since each type of pain is different. i dont think pot works on all types of pain, same with neurotin ,- lyrica or the anti inflamatories. i hear they dont even know how the spinal cord stimulator works..
    cauda equina

ALL I ask for is one little syringe of capsaicin, just as a control, to inject into the guy who is making these claims. Then we will see just how well he can control the rostral anterior cingulum. Rostral means "headward" or "forward". There are tons of articles which show the cingulate cortex is involved with pain, but they never quite pin it down, and after all, it has been known for more than a year that the "painfulness of pain" is miles away in the insular cortex. RACC is actually kind of a vague term and covers a whole lot of territory, including some emotional stuff. If they are serious about this, they should be speaking of a specific nucleus of the cingulum, and on which side, of the cingulum they are talking about.

One last question, why has Stanford decided to have their neuro films read at UCSF? Actually one more question, where is the quantification in this study, such as the quanitity of change compared to say, severe central pain burning dysesthesia.

"one syringe of capsaicin"
    Ha ha can I be the one to draw and stick it?
    Speaking of capsaisin, that stuff helps me with hypersensitivity, when I use it topically, it is annoying as hell, and I am daily angry that it works because I told my doc friend who makes me use it that I thought he was FOS for even bringing it up. I don't think someone pointing a brain scanner at my head to try to influence my pain is going to do more than become mechanically confused. Oh and just to be a little twisted here, capsaisin has systemic effects so if you use it topically during calm moments, eat something spicy and watch the area applied fire up...I would not recommend eating spicy eggplant in a Chinese restaurant with capsaisin cream on your butt cheek...its weird.
    Last edited by 1 Fine Spine RN; 12-22-2005 at 01:36 PM.
    1FineSpineRN