Thread: Horse Riding

Horse Riding

What are the chances of someone with Tranverse Myelitis being able to horse ride independently?
    What about caring for a horse?
    Do any of you have any experience of horse riding since your injury?
    Do any of you have horses?

Blog Entries
    Haven't ridden since I've been injured. Never really thought it would be possible(w/o a lift). Since I have ridden jetski's, I think it would be doable with some adaptations to the saddle. I'd have to get someone to saddle/ bridle them, too short now
    I have been trying to get some near me used to my handcycle for the last few months. No dice. For some reason, they are afraid. Even when I meet someone riding, I have to stop about 50 feet from them and 'talk' them by. The riders have a hard time keeping them going past me.
    If I don't talk to them, they won't even budge. Do I look like a snake?
    lol

Care, now that depends on your physical ability. Have you ever tried helping someone, to see what all is required? You might be suprised what determination can accomplish.

I have noticed quite a few places advertised online for helping people with disabilities to ride again. Check your area, and google the web. You will find something.

i don/t what you have i am ignorant sorry. i am c6c7 i have been riding in aspecial saddle lol that how i became sci i rode pro.
    my horses were scared of me at first now i can pet them but been a quad i cannot hold them.
    there are places out there go for it

Where can I find more information about adaptive equipment for a para (like me) to go riding?
    Daniel

dan randy byrd makes saddles for para , he was a bronc rider prca till he had 1 to many in 92 now he is a minster and in the 90 he team rope prca and later did rodeo acts. this is a western saddle with a 12 inch band that goes around you and the back is like a chair. they costmin 2500.00 most disablity
    riding centers don/t have them or are the equipped to deal with para or quad

if you want to get in touch with randy let me know. also purina feeds sponsors a para micheal in ft worth tx. he gives clinic to horse people on using
    a different approach to your horse kinda like the wispher.

For more info on horse care and equipment, why not contact the experts at a nearby horse riding academy which provides lessons?

.....i had 5 horses pre-injury.......now none, but can't seem to get one near me in chair anyway.....wierd

check out the NAHRA website http://www.narha.org/

The list orgs all over the country that teach adaptive riding.

I wouldn't just go to any riding school, only one that is NAHRA certified/accredited.

Candy
    Candy Harrington
    Editor, Emerging Horizons
    The Only Accessible Travel Magazine
    www.EmergingHorizons.com
    Read my blog - www.BarrierFreeTravels.com

VickyLynn, I am C4/C5 from a horse too. My Arabians were great about me in the chair....even the babies were just curious. Do you still ride? I plan to start in the spring...can't wait!

Blog Entries
    Went for a HC ride today. Stopped and got pics of these nervous few,lol.
    At least they didn't run this time. Saw one laid out flat, thought there was something wrong, went to see. He was just extremely lazy. Got up when I called him.