Thread: leg bag emptier....

leg bag emptier....

Jim's new bath is almost done, the tiling is beautiful, I will put the sealer on tomorrow! The hardwood floors in his room are also very snazzy and compliment the 7 foot stone fireplace and rough cedar paneling. Put insulation around the three french doors leading out to his porch today. Steve, the hunky carpenter, made a built-in for his TV, with a compartment below for storing the shower chair. Between the bedroom and bath we are building a barn-door that slides on rollers-tres cool. So now, I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a specific brand of leg bag emptier? The plumbers, electricians, carpenters and tilers have been terrific to work with, very accomadating to Jim's needs. For his office we tore down a whole wall and opened it to the hall for better turn radius and his desk will go around three of the walls, with cut-outs for his joystick at the reading station, computer station and writing area. He will have a great view of the park across the street, front courtyard with birdfeeders and front door. We got too much snow so will put in the koi pond next spring. It's starting to come together and we sure hope all our ideas work as well in reality as they did in my imagination! Hopefully we move in 2 weeks.

Here is the most commonly used leg-bag emptier

http://www.rdequipment.com/elbeworks.htm

Here are some similar ones:

http://www.wheelchairs.com/legbag2.htm

http://www.freedomprod.com/Release01.htm

Have not tried this one, but you would need to have at least some hand/arm function to use it:

http://www.jb-3.com/

If you have the space, you might consider a floor toilet for emptying, otherwise you need a well-placed drain, or empty it outdoors.

http://www.freedomprod.com/products.htm

(KLD)

I recommend staying away from the RD Equipment valve, in which the pee flows through the valve, and go with one of the "pinch" valves. I went through three RD through-valves in two years and had problems with leaking. I ended up finding a pinch valve on the Internet (Neptune Research #648P011-82) which I used for 5 years and replaced only because I was worried about it getting too old.
    With the chair-mounted pinch valve, the leg bag is easier to clean, too.

By the way, on what side of town is your house? If you don't like it, can I have it? ;-)

Talking Kilgore,

hey, thanks for the tip! We should get together sometime. We are moving in next week (fingers crossed, knock-on-wood), the house is in Arbor Hills area, around the Todd Drive exit off the beltline--fairly Central and close to the Arboretum. Come sit by the fire with us and I'll fix you dinner, while I pump you for information on medical facilities in Madtown. Jim and I went to high school in Stoughton, then I moved away for a long time while Jim stayed in Stoughton and worked for Dane County Juvenile Court System. Now I'm gettin' back into the swing of shoveling snow, lots and lots of snow! Deb

Kilgore,

nice website, by the way. Deb

Okay, Deb. I'll give you my take on the Mad-town scene! You can email me: mbegel(atsign)yahoo.com or just look up 'Begel' in the phone book.
    until then...

Wow, that sounds like a great set up! Do you have any pictures, Deb?

thanks,

Lindsay
    www.ableminded.net

lilsister, so do you have pictures of the house?
    Daniel

Pictures?

Not yet! I have "befores" stored in camera and will take "afters" once moved. Will be glad to post to someone else to post on site. We move on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man, wish me luck! I have moved alot of the breakables myself as I go over everyday to work on the house. So many details to attend to, bought all the appliances today, still doing trimwork. Hope it doesn't snow that day. On the bright side I find that movers love the rampage!

If anyone would like a homemade desk that I made for Jim, let me know. It was simply made of wood with 2 work stations--I made 2 cutouts for the joystick for ease. I can store it for a while, but unfortunately not transport for any distance over a half hour. Deb