Thread: Update on my foot - and an overhead lift!

Update on my foot - and an overhead lift!

I cracked my heel bone and tore my plantar fascia (tendon) in my left foot in early September. I walked on it for 5 weeks before going to the orthopedic doctor (after urgent care sent me home the day it happened with crutches saying it was nothing and would be fine in a week .. ppfffftt!), at which point he casted me and put me back on crutches. I was like that for about 2 months and I didn't get ANY better at all. So he sent me for a month of physical therapy 3x a week to see if it helps, and if not, he's scheduled me for surgery on Jan 12th.

So, I had my first PT session today and I was not expecting much (never had PT before). I figured they would ask me to flex my foot back and forth (which I can't) and tell me to take ibuprofen. But instead, he took an entire hour to assess both of my feet, partly for comparison purposes and partly to see if there was perhaps something specific about my feet that caused the injury in the first place. Turns out I have very flat feet, which makes you more prone to these injuries in the first place, and because I have been limping/crutching for 3 months now, my muscles have significantly atrophied on my left side. He also said that the severity of my pain and inflammation (by ultrasound) was probably the worst he has ever seen for this kind of injury .... and he's been doing this over a decade. Lucky me!

After his incredibly careful assessment, during which he did not hurt my foot at any time (a miracle as a light brush across the heel actually hurts), he did an ultrasound for therapeutic purposes, the sound waves apparently help reduce the inflammation somehow. He then did electrical stimulation to draw healing "stuff" to my heel. Then he iced it down for 3 minutes in various areas of my foot and my calf. Then he massaged the calf to encourage blood flow for about 15 minutes. Other than the ice, it all felt very good actually, and when I stood up, I actually felt a tiny, tiny bit better (... but maybe it was psychosomatic!).

So now I'm going MWF until Jan, at which time I'll be told to continue PT or have surgery. I was VERY skeptical that PT would help at all, but I'm beginning to think this has a shot at helping. Worst case, I would do PT post-surgery to help heal and to help my atrophied muscles strengthen.

And, SCI-Nurse, you won't believe this .... but we are getting an overhead, Sure Hands lift installed in the house! (when I'm wrong typically I'm REALLy wrong .... *doh*). A guy came out to demo it and it was SUPER cool. It will go from chad's side of the bed over all the way into the shower and the tub (separate areas). It will cost $12,500, but since we are planning to live in this house basically forever, it will be worth it. Chad vehemently opposed a lift previously because he didn't want to sit on a sling all day (his hoyer and other lift required this), but the Sure Hands system has 8 different slings and we're getting two (one for bed to powerchair, one for bed to shower and tub that is PVC washable) - neither of which stays on him in his chari. It is very easy to put on and off and not perturb him in his chair.

So, there you go.

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Smile

Wow Ami, what a long journey you've had with your poor foot! I am so glad that you found a good PT though, and I think the fact that the first session helped, even if only a little, is a good sign! Keeping my fingers crossed that you won't have to have surgery and are as good as new by January!

Congrats on the lift! Like you say, that's a big price, but worth it. Keep us posted on both your foot and how the lift works out! Wishing you guys all the best!
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Talking Ami,

Glad to hear progress is being made--that'll teach you to put your foot in it! Maybe a martini with the PT massage would help? I've always thought a bar would be nice near the matts.......................

Congrats on getting the lift...it is the same one my mother has, and they love it. By the way, all good lift manufacturers make slings are are easy to remove even when sitting...we never let our clients sit on their sling in their chair as it can cause skin breakdown.

I hope your foot is doing better. I am plagued with plantar fascitis and it is extremely painful. I can't image a tear of this area. Have to call my orthopod to get some treatment more aggressive than my current stretching, icing and EXPENSIVE coil spring heeled shoes!

(KLD)