Thread: Help looking for rehab that deals wih depression

Help looking for rehab that deals wih depression

Hi

Does anyone know of a good hospital dealing with depression. It has been 4 years since my acciden and the depression from my injury is out of control. I went inpatient for 2 weeks though it did not really help. I am looking for the best place that can help me deal wih depression. I live in Albany NY and did my rehab at Kessler in NJ so I do not mind the drive for the right place. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Mark

jws1217,

I am a professional counselor specializing in trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD, i.e., Vietnam, Korea, WW II veterans, Rape victims, etc.).

As an SCI, I have also dealt with depression directly related to my SCI on a personal level. Others have claimed that depression is not due to SCI, but is a symptom or predisposition of incidents in life previous to SCI. I strongly disagree.

If you need to Private Message me, please do so. I will do my best to relate my own experiences related to SCI to you, and hopefully provide insight into the fact that you are not alone in your feelings. In reality, what you are experiencing is "normal" in an abnormal situation.

There is nothing happy or normal about SCI.

Have you talked to people at Kessler about what they would recommend? That would probably be your fast track to help. Was there a psychologist on your rehab team? That person could give you good referrals as well.

RAB

Schmeky, Thanks very much for responding to this.
    jws1217, I hope that you feel better soon.

I am moving this to the Care Forum.

wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    jws1217,

I am a professional counselor specializing in trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD, i.e., Vietnam, Korea, WW II veterans, Rape victims, etc.).

As an SCI, I have also dealt with depression directly related to my SCI on a personal level. Others have claimed that depression is not due to SCI, but is a symptom or predisposition of incidents in life previous to SCI. I strongly disagree.

If you need to Private Message me, please do so. I will do my best to relate my own experiences related to SCI to you, and hopefully provide insight into the fact that you are not alone in your feelings. In reality, what you are experiencing is "normal" in an abnormal situation.

There is nothing happy or normal about SCI.

A good website for depression where people post about it is,
    http://www.healthboards.com/boards/f...splay.php?f=44

Thanks for he information and I agree with you Schemky I do not see how my depression has anything to do with my life prior o my accident. Prior I was fine and having the best time of my life. Then the accident which over time has lead to this depression.
    I have an email into Kessler to see what hey recomend though sometimes patient are one of the best sources of info. So while I wait to hear from them if anyone has had a positive inpatien stay at anywhere in the North East please let me know.

Thanks Mark

Finding and Inpatient Program

As someone who used to work in mental health care, and whose spouse is still active in the field, I just want to caution you that if you're looking for an inpatient program, you may have a tough time finding one. The demands of HMO's and govt. funding, along with improvements in psychopharmacology have led to drastic reductions in the average length of stay in most inpatient programs. This is especially tough on depression patients, who often are released well before any particular anti-depressant can have had time to work (while many anti-depressants have temporary sedating effects, they tend not to work on the depression itself for days or even weeks- tough when the HMO wants you treated and released in three days.). The era of thirty day stays, when therapists and physicians could actually get to know a patient, are largely gone. You might give thought to finding a good outpatient therapist and a psychiatrist whose willing to work with him or her.

In any case- keep fighting for the help you need.

David
    A Conservative government is an organised hypocrisy.
    Benjamin Disraeli

Good points, David. I would also add that the availability of accessible inpatient mental health services for people with disabilities is incredibly poor. If you cannot do all your own care, they may not admit you. Many facilities are not wheelchair accessible....either inpatient, outpatient or day-treatment. If an inpatient program, you will not find the nurses there willing to do such care as catheterizations or bowel care, and bathrooms are rarely accessible. While this is obviously an ADA violation in the country, there have been way too few complaints filed to get better complicance in this field.

(KLD)

I agree most HMO plan want you out ASAP. I have a pretty good plan though. I also found out that I have had Medicare since 11/1/01 along with my HMO. Glad someone told me. At this point I do not care even if I have to pay for it I am just looking for a top notch hospital dealing with depression. I would rather look into one thats someone referred me to as me just picking one that I really don't know anything about. Any info would be great. Again I live in NY but dont mind traveling for the right place. Thanks to all

Do you already have a good psychiatrist? If so, start with them. They will know the best programs in your area. If not, ask your physician (SCI or other) to refer you to a good psychiatrist and then see if they think you really need inpatient hospitalization. Even with good insurance, few will authorize an inpatient psychiatric hospitalization without a psychiatrist documenting that this is the only safe option for your treatment, and this is unlikely (due to the reasons mentioned above).

(KLD)