Thread: T9 Recovery period? Doctors opinion

T9 Recovery period? Doctors opinion

Hi, I posted a question the other day...thanks to all who responded.

My mum's spinal cord bleed happened a month ago. The thing is every doctor seems to tell us something different as far as hope for any recovery.

The neurosurgeon who operated on her told us it would be a month by month thing looking at her recovery if any, and indicated that if there was no movement after 1 month, that wasn't an indication of her eventual outcome.

Now she's in the spinal unit, another doctor said if she didn't have return of bladder/bowel function 6 weeks after surgery, she would never have it.

Another doctor commented like he never expected any movement return anyway. Like "oh well we done the surgery, we knew it wouldn't be much chance"

I don't know what to think right now. She is classed as a T9

Any information as to what we might expect would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kim

Actually you are more likely to see slow and gradual return with a bleed than with a traumatic injury in my experience. I would expect to see some changes (but at a slower rate) for at least 2 years post injury.

Don't let the negative physicians get you down. Some do this as they don't want you to be disappointed, others out of ignorance, but it is not fair to you to take away hope. Personally, when I discuss this with my clients, I use some variation of this:

"We don't know if you will get more return or not. We hope so, but we cannot predict if you will or not. Meanwhile, we will plan for the worse case scenario...not getting anything more than you have today. This is what we will use as the basis for making your discharge plan and goals for rehab with you. If you should get more return as we go along, we will adjust our goals and program for you...and look at that as 'gravy'. It is common to have some return (although at a slower and less dramatic rate) for two years or more."

Anyone who says they can predict who will or will not get return, and how much within days or weeks after a spinal cord injury (regardless of the cause) is just waiting to be proven wrong, one way or the other.

(KLD)