Thread: Calories vs Weight Loss

Calories vs Weight Loss

I weigh 90Kg at the moment and my doc says i should lose at least 10kg. I recently started cycling on a stationey bike and now i can cycle for 20min - burning just over 100 calories. Can someone please tell me how much weight or fat i lose when burning out this amount of calories? I also do some weight training for my upper-body and other physio exercises that i've learnt over the years so, i actually burn over a 100 calories a day, three-five times a week exercising. Thank you in advance for your response!

The first thing you should do is have a body fat analysis done in a dunk tank. People vary in bone structure and it is not wise to say "if your height is X then you should weigh between X and X. You can contact any hospital and see if they have a nutritional department that does this. They sit you in a tank of water and measure your displacement of the water. They take into consideration your weight and height and a caliper test at certain parts of your body.

When I was in the Navy I ran five miles a day M-F and according to there ht wt chart I was not fit. I was 6' and weighed 205 and the chart said I should weigh 185.

What you eat will help you loose weight also. It takes the body more energy to digest raw veggies than the calories contained in them. No cheating, you cant be dipping in buttermilk ranch dressing! Also eating six to eight times a day helps. Small meals spread out maintains your metabolism.

Good luck!!

If you jog in a jogging suit, lounge in lounging
    pajamas, and smoke in a
    smoking jacket, WHY would anyone want to wear a
    windbreaker?

To Pat

Good one. I must remove all windbreakers from my home (which I share with 3 male people and one old male dalmation). The guys will tell you they need to hide the windbreakers from me! Betheny

SCI Nurse / Dr. Young

Your input would be highly appreciated here.

Thanx!

Weight loss and SCI

The higher your level of injury, the more difficulty you will have mounting an aerobic response to exercise--the increase in pulse and respiratory rate that signals good exercise. Unfortunately, the only other approach to weight loss is reducing caloric intake--this should be done in a balanced way with protein, carbohydrates and low fat; be aware of the need to maintain good vitamin intake and drink plenty of water in a way that doesn't mess up your bladder care (for the people on intermittent catheterization).

There are not other good answers. Exercise as much as possible. If you can use a manual chair, that is preferable to using power--so if you have a choice, wheel around in your manual chair. Weight training is a good idea--it helps to build muscle mass. Muscle is more metabolically active, that means it burns calories in the course of the day.

But remember that exercise is a big challenge to high paras and quads.

(RAB)

I think that there is either 4300 or 4500 calories per pound of fat.