Thread: Cipro XR Treats Urinary Tract Infections

Cipro XR Treats Urinary Tract Infections

Cipro XR Treats Urinary Tract Infections
    December 17, 2002 09:09:27 AM PST, HealthScout News
    Â*
    TUESDAY, Dec. 17 (HealthScoutNews) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved an extended-release version of the antibiotic Cipro (ciprofloxacin) to treat uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTIs).

The recommended dose for the 500-mg. Cipro XR tablet is once daily for three days, Bayer Corp. said in announcing the FDA action. Regular-strength Cipro is normally taken in 250-mg strength twice daily.

UTIs are caused by bacteria that enter the urethra and travel up the urinary tract. Affecting millions of Americans annually, they are the second most common infection, behind those of the respiratory tract. Women are especially prone to UTIs, and their risk increases with age.

FDA approval of Cipro XR followed clinical trials among 891 adult women who had clinical signs of UTI. The study compared the once-daily medication with its older twice-daily counterpart. The company says 95 percent of UTI patients were cured with Cipro XR, versus 93 percent of patients who used regular-strength Cipro.

Cipro XR will begin shipping to U.S. pharmacies on January 2, the company said. Side effects include nausea and headache. The drug should not be taken concurrently with the asthma medication theophylline.

Here is the Bayer Press Release announcing the approval. For more information about urinary tract infections, visit the U.S. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse.

three days of meds vs. ten????

how can it clear everything in three days?

...act like a survivor not a victim.

Pat, when they say "uncomplicated"? They really mean it! Normally with a UTI, most able bodied women get them and their main symptom is burning on urination and the urge to go frequently. This is mainly because the bacteria remain in the bottom of the bladder near the bladder sphincter. Very few of the bacteria manage to attach to the wall before symptoms appear. They rarely have a fever because they seek treatment for the pain before the infection is to the point that it has raised the white blood count drastically. And without catheters each time they pee they do wash more of the bugs out. Seven to 10 days of an anti-biotic like Cipro would be overkill to the max on most UTIs out there in AB land.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Three versus Ten

Three days of treatment is the standard for able bodied females with community acquired urinary tract infection. People with SCI are, unfortunately, playing in a different league and should take 7 to 14 days worth of antibiotic treatment for a urinary tract infection that presents with fever, nausea, feeling flu-ey, increased spasticity or increased neuropathic pain. Bacteria in the urine is not an infection and should not be treated.

That's the party line.

(RAB)

Cipro though?

Geez, I wouldn't take cipro just like that, shouldn't we try and save cipro as a last resort, when there are so many less powerful biotics that will work. I always thought once your resistance to cipro has built up your hooped! Not just for uti's but everything else that you might need it for down the road. I remember the scare after 9/11, I still have a bunch in my drawer from then, just in case.

Is this correct or have I had this wrong all these years?

Monkey, Cipro is a braod spectrum antibiotic and works well on most non-resistant bacteria especially those that attack the urinary tract in we DAs. But it's also a med that can clear up most bugs a woman can run into out there in the world that can cause a normal UTI. No waiting for a 3 days culture before treament. These women are prescribed after a few questions rule out things like goneahrea and pelvic inflammatory disease and other pain inducing problems. The only way someone who has 1 or 2 UTIs in a lifetime would develop resistance to Cipro is if the bacteria were not sensitive to Cipro. obviously when the pain doesn't go away the woman goes back for more tests. Another drug is prescribed that will kill everything and all goes smoothly again.

You'd need a biological weapons expert to explain why Cipro works for most vectored bugs like anthrax. I guess just say it's safe to assume that the broad spectrum of Cipro will knock out any diseases or bacteria besides the weaponized one that is opportunistic. In other words, it knocks out the anthrax and it kills off illness or infection caused by the initial infection.

And unless those pills are vacumn packed and in a dark cool room--toss them after 18 months or so. 30 months tops.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."