Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etiquette question

I once hit a rotten apple while riding in the street and it sent me sliding towards the gutter. I wound up with both wheels on one side stuck in a sewer grate. I was walking my dog so I sent her to "go get help". Now Reggie knows about "go get Jay" but not "help". She brought back the first person who was in the cul de sac. I figured without her I'd have been stuck there for 2 hours til schools let out.

As long as you ask and also ask how to help I'm going to accept graciously. No one likes being stuck and it's just like helping the guy with his family on the side of the road. He may have AAA and doesn't want to dirty his hands or he may need a can of gas. Doesn't hurt to ask. But also take "no thanks" as final if that's the answer.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Agreed with dogger, Claire & Sue

I would;

Always ask first if someone needs assistance, don't assume assistance will be welcomed without asking. Same would apply to the able-bodied.

In the event of an emergency (life/death situation) you should take charge and assist where you can as fast as possible.

Fortitudine Vincimus
    (Through endurance we conquer)

Sue,

I've come upon the "guy on the side of the road" situation plenty of times. When I lived in Arizona for several years, we often drove up a two-lane highway to the mountains and we always took several gallons of water with us. Fairly often we'd find someone one the side of the road with the hood up and all they needed to get back on the road was some water in the radiator. Once I even had a state trooper stop behind my car while I was helping some stranded teenagers. He stopped behind my car and stared at my expired license plate for several seconds, then came up to see what was going on. When he saw that I had stopped with my family to help these punk wanna-be's, he just nodded and went on his way.

My main reason for starting this thread was to try to better identify the line between being helpful, and insulting someone's dignity and independence. I know there's no one way to be sure, but I'll always try to error on the side of "caustious good samaritan" by checking if someone would like assistance. I might make a few mistakes along the way, but I'm confident that's better than leaving someone in the lurch.

David Berg