Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hi Ian(and everyone else)- I read your messages first when I joined this forum today. It's really interesting to read about your daughter's progress. My dad had a SCI of C4-C5 last week and is still in the ICU at a hospital in San Jose, CA. He, too, has feeling and movement in his shoulders and use of left arm down to elbow. He is still on the ventilator but they are weaning him off slowly. He's a very athletic 77 y.o. I'm hoping for the best for both my Dad and your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by 1deltagirl
    Hi Ian(and everyone else)- I read your messages first when I joined this forum today. It's really interesting to read about your daughter's progress. My dad had a SCI of C4-C5 last week and is still in the ICU at a hospital in San Jose, CA. He, too, has feeling and movement in his shoulders and use of left arm down to elbow. He is still on the ventilator but they are weaning him off slowly. He's a very athletic 77 y.o. I'm hoping for the best for both my Dad and your daughter.
    1deltagirl

I was in rehab with the most athletic 70 year old you've ever met. He was lucky, he could walk with a frame after 7 months but it took 4 months before he could even stand......your dad has a long way to go but you never know.......

I'm sure the guy I knew only ended up walking because of his motivation to chase nurses!!! Mind you, being in a chair didn't stop him.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I'm sure the guy I knew only ended up walking because of his motivation to chase nurses!!! Mind you, being in a chair didn't stop him. [/quote]

Ha Ha! My Dad can raise his arm from his bed. We've been joking about him trying to flag down the cute nurses.

Delta, is your dad at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center? This is the best place for SCI rehab in that area. I would strongly encourage you to get him moved there if he is not there already.

(KLD)

Ian I have sent you a PM.

The doctors just say "the spinal cord does not regenerate, so what shes got now shes got for life ".

this makes me so mad when they say that. Right, ok the cord doesn't regenerate. To tell someone "how she is now is how she is for life" is just wrong. ESPECIALLY that early in the injury. As anyone on this board can tell you, the outcome of SCI is different on a case by case basis. There are too many factors that effect how/if we recover. The truth is, they don't know. As the swelling goes down, things become a little more apparent, but even then, there will be changes and settling for atleast 3-4 years post-injury.

Some here have had great return and are walking now, while others--putting in the same amount of effort--have little to no return. For the doctors to say "this is it" undermines the patient's drive and in turn has a damaging affect on recovery.

Ian, your positive attitude is the best for your daughter. I'm glad you found CC and can get some real feedback from those who have been in your shoes, as well as those with the same level of injury as your daughter. When she gets to the point where she can, she should sign up here too. The people here can help with a variety of things. We all have different ways of doing things and can give your daughter ideas that will help her find a way that works best for her. There are also caregiving parents here that can offer a support system for you and your family. They've been through what you are going through now. Learn from them. They are an invaluable resource for anything and everything you can imagine.

I was wondering if you have thought about your house. What needs to be done in order to have it ready when it comes time to bring your daughter home?

Quote Originally Posted by 1deltagirl
    He's a very athletic 77 y.o. I'm hoping for the best for both my Dad and your daughter.
    Me too, sounds like its very positive for your Dad.
    Pixie, I am a real wally, I only just worked out how to check my PMs Ive replied to them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jadis
    I was wondering if you have thought about your house. What needs to be done in order to have it ready when it comes time to bring your daughter home?
    Thanks for your advice Jadis.
    Yes i am already working out where to put hand rails and ramps in the house. I am lucky enough to have the handyman skills to put them in myself.

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    I am lucky enough to have the handyman skills to put them in myself.
    Ian have you spoken with the OT's. There is a government grant to help with home mods. They allow a certain amount of money every so many years.

I recently had my kitchen re-done to make it more wheelchair friendly.

Worth checking into, they also come out to your home and make suggestions, but usually they have specific builders they use with the grant money, they don't give it to you. It can work out to be very expensive especially bathroom and toilet alterations depending on the original design of your home.

I had to work out how to do the PM's too.

Thanks pixie, I didnt know about that. I will discuss it with them.
    Something else I just learnt

at 6 months post my daughter has regained full use of triceps, finger movement(not thumb) on one hand and upper abdominal control.
    Sensation has returned to just below ribcage. Unfortunately she also has a brachial plexus injury which is hampering rehab therapy. We are hoping that she will continue to progress. I feel that tricep use is the most positive return for her at this stage.