Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hi, just thought id say hello. Im not spinal injured but my 20 yo daughter is. She is 3 weeks post injury with c4/c5 incomplete (partial use of arms and chest). She is still on vent. but the docs reckon she will come off in about 2 weeks. I think this site is brilliant, and i would say is offering me a great source of hope and inspiration. We have only been getting negatives from the Doctors and they say she will never regain any function. Since finding this site about 2 weeks ago i have been inspired to focus on what help my wife and myself can be to her in her rehabilitation and we are also able to remain positive about the long term view.

welcome Ian. It's important to stay both hopeful and positive in supporting your daughter. I'm 7 weeks post-injury myself, and have come to realize that optimism is essential in this situation.

You're in our prayers.
    Daniel

In

Like Dan said,,,,love her, work her, don't give up hope,,,stay strong and yep don't believe everything the doc's say....ask any questions of our nurses, Dr. Young..and members....we can short-cut alot of "lack of info
    from the doc's" and help in some way solve your problems with answers just a little bit faster...Wish I'd found this site earlier in my recovery period, it would have saved me a lot of problems...which with the help of this site,,,,,,,I have eliminated most of them...

You and your family are in our prayers...

Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Ian, welcome to carecure. It is really great news that she has partial use of her arms. You may want to ask the doctor to tell you her International Spinal Cord Society Classification (American Spinal Injury Association or ASIA). This is the classification that is used around the world. Although some of the criteria for the classification may seem strange, the it provides some insight into the severity of injury and prognosis for recovery.

A = This means that there is some spinal cord level below which there is neither motor or sensory function. Because the sacral segment 4/5 is the lowest level of the spinal cord, the criterion for the A is absence of rectal sensation and sphincter control.
    B = This means preservation of sensory function but not motor below the injury level.
    C = This means preservation of motor function below the injury level.
    D = This means preservation of "useful" motor function below the injury level, defined as more than half of the motor score in the key muscles below the injury level.
    E = this means preservation of motor function in all the key muscles.

Wise.

welcome to cc Ian. you have made it to a wonderful site with endless amounts of knowledge through Wise, the nurses, moderators, and all the members... you will have plenty of questions as we all STILL have, so use ''search'' or just ask away... hope that your daughter gets off the vent as expected and gets rehabbing to get stronger. keep your chin up and keep her positive and definately keep us informed of her progress. best of luck to your family..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Thank you all, we are thankful to god she is alive. She has many injuries from a motor vehicle accident. The staff at the Intensive Care Unit here at Royal Perth Hospital here in Western Australia have done and are doing a great job. She had wrist and finger movement on both hands until the spinal surgeon had to operate a 2nd time to stabilise her spine. They believe she will have at least control of her diapraghm enabling her to be ventilator independent. She is able to cough which i believe is a positive sign ? but has a punctured lung and fractured ribs which we believe is restraining her progress off the ventilator. We are hoping that she may regain some more function in the next few weeks as the swelling on her spinal cord subsides. The Doctors are not optimistic.
    : Dr Wise, I will ask the Doctors for their classification tomorrow.

Hi Ian, I hope the best for your daughter and family.

Apparently we cant get a classification until we meet the spinal doctors next week. To be quite honest I think her other injuries overwhelmed her body so much thats its hard for them to accurately say how much function there is. We decided that we would remain positive and the staff sort of look at us a bit funny now, they think that we are denying the extent of her disability I think. The medical staff here although very competent although I think are completely behind the times as far as being aware of any recent research or studies. I had a 25 year old Doctor tell me that I must tell my daughter she will never walk again, I said im not going to do that because I dont honestly know if thats going to be the case. I told her the extent of her injuries and that she will be in a wheelchair with limited function, we dont know how much. We are also telling her that it is positive in the long term. Is this the wrong thing to say ? The doctors just say " the spinal cord does not regenerate, so what shes got now shes got for life ". I will be trying my hardest to look for any therapies outside the mainstream that may help. We have an excellent Government funded rehabilitation centre here in Perth which she will be living at for a while.

Ian;

You have a good attitude with regard to the prognosis and doubts of the staff there. Hold onto that! Your daughter needs time to heal from the trauma and other injuries before anyone will know what her future might be like. Plus, the future for all of us dealing with SCI is dynamic, that is, it is changing all the time. What she needs most of all is love and hope and the support of positive family and friends. I am glad you found this community so quickly. Please use us to get answers to the many questions that are going to come your way as she progresses.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Thank you all again.