Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyrica

Lyrica

Metronycguy, I was wondering if you or any others knows the relative dosage of Lyrica vs Neurontin. I presently take 1800mg per day of Neurontin and I am wondering how that would equate to the dosage requirement of Lyrica which is suppose to be less. Lyrica is significantly more expensive if the dosage would be the same.
    mike

Lyrica sides and dosing

I'm 10 days into trying lyrica- and just moved up from 75 mg to 150mg. twice a day (300mg toal a day). My Doc says its very unlikely that we will try more than 600mg total per day, as the studies suggest no benefit. So far sides have been very, very mild- slight sleepiness days 1-3, lots of energy and a mild euphoria since (or is that just some crypto-antidepressant side effect, lol). In other words i feel great. The character of my neuropathic pain has begun to change, from pure hellfire to something more electrical, but i can't say that its reduced- still 8+ on the scale at night (I spend a lot of time biting pillows and trying not to wake the neighborhood). I was told not to expect any real benefit before two weeks (or longer if we need to raise the dose again), but my neuro doc is hopeful.

David

PS- I hear Pfizer is handing out lots and lots of samples as they push this onto the market- it may be worthwhile asking your Doc to stock you up.

i think 300 is the top level for pain control .
    most of the stuff i was reading was saying 3 times a day for neuropathic pain, my doc said 3 times when i inquired about 2 times. i am at 150. 3 times 50 a day
    cauda equina

Metronyguy is quite right- the max recomended dose of Lyrica is 300 mg per day in divided doses. The drug literature suggest no aditional benefit in studies using 600mg.

David

PS- last night I had them first reduction in nightime pain in months! Maybe its working.

Price of Lyrica

If indeed 300mg of Lyrica is the maximum dose, then it would be less expensive then Neurontin for a ninety day supply. That is certainly an additional side benefit.
    mike

I read in the MGH Braintalk forums that 300 mg. of Lyrica is equivalent to 1800 mg. of Neurontin. Sounded low to me.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

i am not sure if they did clinical trials with people with sci neuropathic pain, so hard to say if no added relief for sci will be found above 300 to 600.
    cauda equina

Indeed lyrica is off label for sci- neuropathy, pain related studies studies were conducted for diabetic peripheral neuropathy and post-herpetic neuralgia. In the latter, doses ofup to 600mg daioyn were found sometimes to be useful.

See www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/uspi_lyrica.pdf

David

Lyrica user

I have used neurontin, baclofen, and a whole host of Gaba receptor drugs. They all seem to be the same for me. I am currently taking Lyrica and use a baclofen pump. I still do not have relief. Look at me I am complaining, is that allowed. Next week I will get a trial for a neuro-stimulator. Is anyone else the pround owner of one of these gadgets. If so how is it going.

i have half a neuro stimulator now
    cauda equina