Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Roho cushion pressure

Adjusting Roho cushion pressure

Anyone have tips on how to adjust roho cushion to the proper pressure? Is there a pressure guage out there to measure the correct pressure? We follow the manufacturer's instructions, but there must be an easier way....Thanks!

I pump mine up til it's firm, sit on it, then lean to the side so my right tuberosity is in the center of the palm of my right hand. I start slowly letting the air out and wiggle my fingers. When I can wiggle and touch the bottom of the cushion I stop. I have a pretty good idea of when I wiggle and have 1/2" clearance. About once a week, I sit on my hand and see if the clearance has changed any. If it has, I add more air. There has been a time or two when I first got the chair that I didn't let enough air out. I could tell because my back would hurt above my injury. I let a little more out til I figured out what was right for me.

I'm on a ROHO Low Profile Single Compartment Cushion.

Blog Entries
    There are gauges made for them by someone, can't remember where I saw them online.
    I personally do the two finger setup. Index and middle finger stacked under the lowest bony protrusion, usually ischials. Deflate until bone JUST touches without putting any real pressure on them. Thats a bit over an inch, I have rough terrain, wanted a bit more safety measure.

Since I have been using them for 9 years, I can sorta tell the right pressure by feeling the surface. Once you DO get it adjusted, get used to that feel on palm of your hand so you can tell at a quick glance when traveling. RARELY, but it does happen, the valve may get cracked open and you loose air.
    Winter time, outside, I occasionally do the 2 finger check to be sure it hasn't decreased from cold. MY bony frame doesn't generate much heat.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 11-30-2005 at 11:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    AHA! found it. Never used it, but if it is easier or make you more secure, I say go for it.

http://www.altairwi.com/

Thanks for the link. It's a little pricey but may be worth it in the long run. I'll check ebay to see if I can get it a little cheaper. Thanks, everyone!

Peggy

Air Cushion

I have one... like it... but it sure is unstable? Does anyone have trouble transfering. I put my fist on the cushion (i have to) then press up or lift off.. however, when I do this... it totally smashes the cusion? Is this going to hurt the cushion??? Also, has anyone heard of the new soft body forming cushion like the beds? It the same stuff as in the Tempurpedic beds I think.
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

You won't hurt a ROHO by lifting off it. Multiple interconnected rubber ballons can be squshed repeatedly; no harm no foul.

I fill the cushion, then deflate until I can fully depress between three and five of the cells and the next cell I (slowly) deflate results in another cell standing up again. At that point I stop. The surrounding temperature being much lower (house in winter prior to warm-up) than body temp will result in a seemingly underinflated cushion. I just sit on it to warm it up.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    AHA! found it. Never used it, but if it is easier or make you more secure, I say go for it.

http://www.altairwi.com/
    Has anyone tried one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by mike bauer
    I have one... like it... but it sure is unstable? Does anyone have trouble transfering. I put my fist on the cushion (i have to) then press up or lift off.. however, when I do this... it totally smashes the cusion? Is this going to hurt the cushion??? Also, has anyone heard of the new soft body forming cushion like the beds? It the same stuff as in the Tempurpedic beds I think.

Hi Mike,

I had this issue with rohos - I mash my hands into the back/side cells for push-ups, positioning, and just general fidgiting. Not using a cover, those cells lost some of their rubber coating over time, and would balloon out, threatening to explode.

I solved this problem by getting a custom roho that is 2 rows of cells narrower than my chair. Then I put a foam strip (bout 2" wide, 3 inches heigh, length of my seat) on either side. All this fits snuggly into the roho cover, and that problem has been solved.

peace
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

I've been playing with one. It has 7 green lights and one red light. The row of green lights light with different pressures. The red light comes on if the cushion goes flat. So far I haven't gotten it to work, so I'm still playing. I'll keep you informed.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger74
    Has anyone tried one of these?