Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rain, snow and wheelchairs

rain, snow and wheelchairs

Hi...this is my first time posting. My son was injured in a MVA back in January. He is a college student who uses his wheelchair on campus to get around. Since this is our first winter, I am hoping that some of you can give me some helpful hints on how to get around in the rain and snow. We have been lucky here that there hasn't been much rain so we haven't had to deal with that situation too often. My son is T5 incomplete. Do they make some type of umbrella that attaches to the wheelchair? Thanks for any info. Shelly

Quote Originally Posted by shelnj18
    Hi...this is my first time posting. My son was injured in a MVA back in January. He is a college student who uses his wheelchair on campus to get around. Since this is our first winter, I am hoping that some of you can give me some helpful hints on how to get around in the rain and snow. We have been lucky here that there hasn't been much rain so we haven't had to deal with that situation too often. My son is T5 incomplete. Do they make some type of umbrella that attaches to the wheelchair? Thanks for any info. Shelly
    no easy way. in the rain, he will get wet. in snow get decent knobby tires, thats about it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have wraped a telephone cord around the tire but at the level a welder could make a home made snow chain with a release. I hd fun sliding in ice in a chair also

I am sorry about your son. I know what you and your family are going through... Not even a year injured and he's back at school speaks well of him and your family. Not to mention bodes well for his future.

To your question: Assuming you want him to have fun/friends/sex etc. - Don't attach an umbrella to his chair! Nothing could look dorkier!

Invest in some nylon tear-away pants that he can put on over regular pants and remove when rain soaked. Ponchos are wheelchair friendly and work well too.

I have two outdoor chairs (kinda like shoes) one for spring - fall and one for winter. For the snow I use a wide tired suspension chair; I could'nt imagine shoveling snow without it. RAIN = GET WET

Blog Entries
    welcome and congratulations for the man being back in school already!
    A poncho is a better idea, plus the books etc can go underneath it. Make sure the seat cushion he uses is not affected by water, and if it is an air type, watch the pressure, as large temp extremes have a big effect on pressure, each so he doesn't get pressure sore from ineffective/damaged cushion.

Good waterproof gloves so the old hands don't get wet and frozen.

I'm a neat freak in public buildings with wet tires, I carry old small towels to dry my wheels once inside the doors. Or if they have big rugs, do circles till they dry off. Also saves you from sliding into people in crowded hallways, never a good thing,lol.

I can only echo about Capn's idea of small towels to dry off wheels in buildings. He doesn't want to 'squeak' all over during exam time - lol. I carry an extra set of gloves as well for when the first get soaked.

I really hate the rain - especially when it's cold rain, like in November. You're going to get wet, and pushing the wheels can get slippery. Very frustrating.

Good thing he's right back to school though, good for him!

Hopefully he'll have offers to carry his books or push him during the rainy/snowy season!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

{...all of the above...} and I hate the fact that I haven't been able to buy a van yet (fall out of a tree, no insurance money / drive drunk and crash, you get insurance money -- go figure!).
    By the time I've reassembled my w/c (even when leaving the seat till the last moment) I end up with a wet butt.
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Im buried under snow 5 months out of the year here and ive learned two sets of tires works best for me,one with a little tread,one with no tread..For snow and icy days ive never had a problem with traction with a little tread tire like this.. and there easy to keep clean..

On rainy slushy days,i use no tread like this they dry quick and dont pick up a lot of sand an dirt..Also invest in coulple pair of tire sox..http://secure.srginc.biz/search_list...trID=74&page=1..and anything else i can think of Capn mentiond.

front tires

The bigger the front tires the more stuff you can go through, but the harder it is to push. I live in SD and right now we have 6 inches of new snow so I know what it is like and I have been dealing with it for 12 years. Get some decent tread tires for winter with bigger front tires and then switch them in the summer......good luck