Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrading to high speed internet

Question upgrading to high speed internet

and free aol instead of paying for msn...so how do I go about saving or transferring all my saved as well as stored emails?
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Blog Entries
    First things first, WHY use AOL? If you really want to use the internet, get a regular ISP, not one with hokey user interfaces.

Second, you must be talking about online email?? You would have to download and save them to disc or cd. Another good thing about a regular ISP, you already HAVE your emails on your computer. Really though, with AOL you are quite limited in types of content you can access. I would SERIOUSLY consider learning a bit more about using the web and the joys of HS Access (cable or dsl, not the SUPPOSED faster access thru traditional phone modems)before I stuck myself with AOL.
    I personally would not use it if they paid me, period. Where I am about to move, I won't have cable access anymore and hate that, so I will have to get satellite. Just does not make for online gaming. Not that I do it much, but I have amassed quite a few friends over the years thru it.

I only use online mail for sites that require a email addy that I don't want to have my POP address. I never really considered it before. You will be doing a lot of cut and pasting I guess.

As the new saying goes(and I laugh my hiney off every time I hear it)
    G00d Luck with that!
    not being smart either, just trying to inject a bit0hum0r!

I've heard AOL blows as well, hence all their free security adding. % know in Canada they offer 256kb/s service fairly cheap and is quit fast enuuff formost people. Checkout theses before you comit to AOL.

teesieme, I seem to recall that MSN allows you to importall your address book from AOL. If you're opening up an AOL account you might be able to import your MSN address book but not your saved or archived e-mail. As mention above, you may have to do a copy and paste to save those e-mails from your MSN account or back them up on to a CD-R.

While you still have your MSN account, you may want to call their tech support and ask them what they suggest for exporting or saving your archived e-mail.
    Last edited by PN; 11-30-2005 at 09:37 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Ah pooey.

You are right, I don't understand all this web stuff, as well as using basic isp and what have you.

What is going on here is I have been trying to figure out a way to both save money and have a higher reaction time from my poor ole overworked computer. A year or so back, some virus came through that wiped me out and I lost some very important emails but revived her by spending many, many, many hours with msn and somebody else I should have had to pay big bucks for doing so...but we did it. What a nightmare, let's just say the family wasn't too impressed with my determination, LOL.

Anyhow, this is what's up. Instead of keeping my msndial9, I live somewhere now that offers me dsl (isn't that high speed internet service?) as well as free aol and cable (for the family) at the same cost. I was getting peeved when I get getting sales calls, etc. at this new number which I only had anyhow for dial up. Adding up msn and phone line, I thought hmmm, if I get the cable and the high speed internet through cable, with free aol, I can get rid of msn's monthly charge.

I am still unsure about what it is you are suggesting. I know at one time I tried to put something on a floppy disc I believe they are called and it didn't work but I think that has to do with the programs and damage that came about from all that this computer has been through and user errors. Sigh.

TY for your help, I get it but then I don't so I will ask around. ~ T.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Teresa -

Think a little simpler here. DSL, Cable, etc etc are all high speed options that keep your computer connected to the web jacked through a standard line running into your house.

When you want to "surf" websites, simply open a browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) & go. Easy.

When you want to do the email thing, simply open a mail client (e.g. Outlook Express). Easy.

These are just a couple examples of standard programs that work with an active internet connection. You simply choose the tool you need to perform a certain task without MSN or AOL telling you what to do. Everything you need should be on your computer already, pre-installed with Windows.

Right now all your email is where, on MSN? See if you can find a way to export everything (fancy way of saying save it) to a file on your computer that is able to be imported into Outlook. I don't use MSN or AOL, & never have, so I can't give you specifics.

HTH..

teesieme,

Could you clear something up for me?

You mentioned an offer for DSL and free AOL and cable?

The reason I ask is that DSL is (like you suspected) Hi-Speed Internet access. It is a phone number that you get that allows you to talk over the phone and be simultaneously connected to the Internet.

Cable (by itself) also offers you a Hi-Speed connection in addition to the channels you get -- and you pay for that! (I've yet to come by cable services that are free -- that's why I still use rabbit ears for my TV). Cable would NOT provide you with a phone number.

In the last year or so (here in Toronto) Bell has offered "Express-Vu" which is cable over a (optical wire) phone line. That TV service (like cable) is extra.

I hope I haven't confused you so far.

If you can keep your MSN account for an additional month, you could forward your email to the new ISP (here in Toronto my DSL connection is from Bell and they are also an ISP) -- and if it MUST be AOL -- and then cancel the MSN account.

{...OK gang, help me out a bit here if you think I muddied the waters}

Cheers!

PS. I'll call you Teresa next time now that I know that's what Scott calls you
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Han,

DSL is not connected via a phone number. DSL operates on existing phone lines, yet runs at a higher frequency than is needed for voice communication, thus its ability to use the same line.

No, cable isn't free, but neither is local phone access. You pay for everything some way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Han,

DSL is not connected via a phone number. DSL operates on existing phone lines, yet runs at a higher frequency than is needed for voice communication, thus its ability to use the same line.

No, cable isn't free, but neither is local phone access. You pay for everything some way or another.
    ...I knew it would be good to have friends that will clarify statements.
    You are off course correct, I didn't say that properly -- my current phone number is today a DSL and the same number was ISDN (let's not get into being 2x64kb required a second phone number) a couple of years back
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Blog Entries
    what Scott said originally covers it.
    Aol and Msn are not needed. Don't waste time with them.
    Think of them as middlemen, who limit your otherwise fredom to do what ya want on the internet.