Thread: clogged sphyncter

clogged sphyncter

Any one have urinary problems due to a clogged sphynter? We use a curved tip cath and still have problems.

JJG

I doubt your urethral sphincter is "clogged". If you mean you're having trouble passing a cath that's another story. Is it positional? If you suspect an obstruction be sure to contact your urologist for a possible scope. You wouldn't want to damage your bladder and/or kidneys with reflux.

sphyncter

Crags:

Yes I mean the latter (difficult to pass curved tip cath), yes it is positional (when seating), and yes we are seeing the urologist ASAP. Any other pionters?

JJG

Dr J.J. --Glad to hear you will be consulting with a urologist soon. He may be able to do a cystoscopy to assess where the obstruction may be if that is the case. Keep us informed. PLG

I had the same problem. In my case the urologist chose to put a 20 ga indwelling foley catheter in and leave it in for three weeks. This helped some. I determined later that much of the problem was caused by the plastic gel cover on my seat cushion. The plastic folds over double and triple in the middle and caused pressure against my prostae area where the catheter enters the sphincter. Got better after I rearranged the gel cover and cut away some foam rubber.

Good luck

Joe B
    C6-7

sphyncter

JJG

Just a few general things to remember when trying to get past a tight sphincter....
    -Use plenty of lubricant. If you have access to sterile lubricant in a tipped syringe, inject that right into the urethra before inserting the catheter.
    Some people find that the newer catheter you dip in water before using are more slippery and pass more easily.
    -Don't force the catheter. If the sphincter is tight, just hold the catheter at the sphincter and apply gentle but firm pressure. If it is the sphincter which is tight, it will eventually "tire" and relax to let the catheter in.
    -I have on occasion used the "Murphy twist" (lovingly named after my friend Dr. Murphy) when cathing men with a difficult prostate. I just gently rotate (or twist) the catheter as I go through the difficult area. This has worked for me when other methods have failed.
    -Smaller catheters aren't going to go in easier. What usually happens is the smaller catheters double back and end up coming out the meatus. I have had some patients we have been unable to do urodynamic studies on because my urodynamic catheter is an 8 french and won't pass. In this case bigger is better.
    -And just a little interesting urology tidbit.... A "french" unit is determined by millimeters and multiplied by 3. Therefore, if the external diameter of a catheter is 4 mm, the catheter is a 12 french.
    Probably more infomation than you are interested in, but I can't help myself sometimes!
    (EMK)

How about a clogged urethra!!

I have run into this problem lately. I insert the catheter and it goes in about two inches then stops. I back it off and re-insert it and the catheter passes the obstruction(?) only to hit another one an inch or so further in. This goes on for about 6 to 8 inches before I can get the catheter all the way to my prostate.

It is like the lubricant from my last cath has dried out and glued the urethra shut!! Any other guy run into this problem too? What can be done about it?

"And so it begins."