Thread: Private Insurance

Private Insurance

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to put this post, so since I'm a caregiver to my son and I have a problem, I put it here. Does anyone out there have private insurance that they applied for and received AFTER they became a parapeligic or quadrapeligic? If so what company? My son only has FL Medicaid and does not qualify for Medicare. We are going to be travelling and staying in CA for a couple of months and I was told FL Medicaid does not pay for anything out of the state of Florida. I will need something that covers out of state Drs. visits, hospitalization (if necessary), calling in his prescriptions to an out of state pharmacy, etc. Thanks
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

If you were able to find something (unlikely) it is likely to be extremely expensive, and unlikely to cover routine care but only high costs items (such as hospitalization). I don't know of any Medicaid programs that cover out-of-state care like this, and in CA he would have to establish residency for at least 30 days, and meet eligiblity critieria as well as waiting period. Why is he not eligible for Medicare?

Of course you could risk not letting them know he is out of state and just get his meds & supplies ordered and mailed to your Florida address, then have a friend forward them to him om CA. If he requires emergency care or hospitalization he can get it in CA without any insurance, but you may be left owing a bill for many thousands of dollars.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If you were able to find something (unlikely) it is likely to be extremely expensive, and unlikely to cover routine care but only high costs items (such as hospitalization). I don't know of any Medicaid programs that cover out-of-state care like this, and in CA he would have to establish residency for at least 30 days, and meet eligiblity critieria as well as waiting period. Why is he not eligible for Medicare?

Of course you could risk not letting them know he is out of state and just get his meds & supplies ordered and mailed to your Florida address, then have a friend forward them to him om CA. If he requires emergency care or hospitalization he can get it in CA without any insurance, but you may be left owing a bill for many thousands of dollars.

(KLD)
    He did not work enough to qualify for Medicare. Luckily he is down to only 2 presc. drugs (hiprex and sanctura) that I was told I could get a prior authorization before we go and get about 3 mos. worth and then yes a friend could mail us the rest. The main thing is his baclofen pump refill that would have to be done during our stay (no way around it). I found a clinic that does the procedure and his Dr. here said they might be able to order the medicine (syringe) and I could take it with us. But the clinic in CA would have to agree to do this. Then we would only have to pay for the office visit and refill procedure. So I guess we will just have to pray that there will be no complications that would require hospitalization while we are there.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

I have no advice, but I am just in shock that this is the way the "system" works!!! How totally ridiculous - it makes you a prisoner to your home area. Wow ..... I am just shocked ... except I'm not (how sad). Like I said, I have no advice, but I will be hoping for the best for you all.

Ami

p.s. Chad has private insurance through his job .... unusual I know, and we are very, very lucky
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I have no insurance for quite awhile and have done good. If I have a big problem no job......I get more medication free and I barter with my doctor. I was paying $177.00 for family insurance, that is robbery. My empoyer advised us to drop or find private insurance - yet his is free. If this was in R & S I would tell you more. Insurance wants $ not loss of $ bottom line. Doctors that sit down in the patient room are ok, those that stand are not worth my time.

my insurence

I have been paying $340.00 a month for insurence through the state of Washingtons Health Ins. pool. That is for just me. Does anyone know if there is something better/cheaper out there. I have to do this becasue I work for small buisness and their Ins. doesn't cover any of my medical needs.

Quote Originally Posted by chimera
    I have been paying $340.00 a month for insurence through the state of Washingtons Health Ins. pool. That is for just me. Does anyone know if there is something better/cheaper out there. I have to do this becasue I work for small buisness and their Ins. doesn't cover any of my medical needs.
    I have a person working on a quote for Anthony. We live in Florida where there is also a high-risk pool. I read that it was closed to new enrollments. But I'll let you know what he says; if anything.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003