Thread: Blood cells & white epithelium like cells in urine

Blood cells & white epithelium like cells in urine

Blood cells & white epithelium like cells in urine:
    sometimes in the urine I see blood stained cells(like thread) which is upto a maximum of 0.75 inch length and 3-4 mm width. And very rarely blood in the urine(very minimum amount). The ultrasound scan of bladder reveals that I have cystitis and small concretion in the bladder near catheter bulb. Is it normal? I can find these cells even when the urine was clear and no odour. White epithelium like cells also present in the urine. What these cells are? is it giving any kind of indication? Urine culture and sensitivity test always shows some growth but no odour in the urine.

I have pain in the lower stomach. small gentle pressing in the bladder area aggrevates the pain. small movement in the catheter also increases the bladder pain.

please advise me what should I do?

Thanks,
    Ramesh S.

Hi Ramesh,

Cystitis is a common condition where the lining of the bladder becomes inflamed and passing urine becomes painful. This can cause the finding of blood or bloody strings in your urine. Here is a site that explains but do a google search and you will find much information:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/cystitis1.shtml

It sounds as if you have a catheter. being gentle with the cathing, avoid pushing forcefully and care to avoid pulling on the catheter once in will minimize inflammation and trauma.

Also, if you have a catheter, you may always show some microscopic blood cells and colonoization with some bacteria. It only requires treatment if you develop a fever, abdominal pain or other symptoms such as a fever.

AAD

Hi,
    Thank you very much.

Actually I am a SCI using indwelling catheter for the past 4 years. quite recently blood cells are coming in the urine and I have stomach pain too. Presence of blood cell does mean that i have infection?

Any ideas to control cystitis?

I have one more doubt , always urine culture shows some mild infection. should i postpone the antibiotics till i get the fever?

Thanks,
    Ramesh S.

If you have stomach pain, I would see a doctor to see if you have a UTI.

Ipeople with catheters always will show some kind of infection so if you are having no symptoms, I would not take antibiotics. If you take continued antibiotics, often they will not work foryou when you really need them.

AAD

Thanks!

Doctors always suggesting for antibiotics after the culture and sensitivity test. I am almost taking antibiotics every 1.5 month. Thats why i am curious to know the procedure to take antibiotics.

Should i have to wait till some symptoms like fever comes? then go for antibiotics. Thus the way i can extend the time between antibiotics.

How frequently we can go for antibiotics?

Thanks,
    Ramesh S.

AS was said, if you checked the urine of people with catheters (even those able-bodied) you would usually always find a positive culture and sensitivity.

Therefore, we recommend only seeing your doctor when it is accompanied by fever, pain, change in spasm level, etc.

There is no schedule of how often to get antibiotics-it is when you have one of the above, which shows the bacteria is overgrown or changed and requires treatment. Take antibiotics only when nacessary and as infrequently as you can.

AAD