Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doing a clean reinstal of windows ME

Blog Entries
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4MVU6P

go here scroll to your machine type, pick EXACTLY which one it is and get all the drivers for it, burnem' to a cd

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/default.asp
    this looks to be the starting point for ME update site, don't know if you can still GET updates but it's worth a try to see if they'll let ya download and burn them to a cd also.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 11-24-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Hey Dogger,
    Not that this is related to your computer, but how far away are you from Townsville?
    About 20 years ago I was planning to move there. (...now they won't even let me in <he, he>)

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Blog Entries
    sounds like me Sailor, can't leave, can't go, so I just keep dreamin....

OK, I found Dogger ...he's way under where I was going

...a five (5) hour flight north in a Cessna!

Cheers M8!
    Last edited by LaoziSailor; 11-24-2005 at 10:05 PM.
    Han Tacoma

Now that biz about being hooked up to a WinSattelite makes sense to me.

I can really go for that "The Great Artesian Spa is the centrepiece of Mitchell and the wider Booringa Shire. The large open-air spa has been making a huge splash among visitors to Mitchell. The warm waters are said to relax the muscles, ease tension and revitalise both the body and the mind."

Like the Capn' said, "I'll trade places with you"

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

Since Dogger is going to install a new hard drive with a clean install of ME there's no need to back up anything onto CDRs. He can just slave up the old hard drive and access everything from there.

You may want to cut/copy and paste anything that you want to save that's located on your desktop back into the C:/ directory/folder. Just create a new folder in C: called "backup" or whatever and cut/copy everything that you want to save from your desktop and paste it into the backup folder. If I recall correctly you may not be able to access the stuff that's on your desktop after you slave it up and the drive letter changes to D:/ or whatever. Depending on whether you partition the new drive or not.... it will be the next letter after the last assigned partition letter on the master or new hard drive.

Dogger should have all the drivers that he needs on those two CDs and in the WinME driver database. And on the floppies or CDs that came with his added/upgraded hardware. At least drivers that will get him up and running until he wants/needs to update them for performance reasons. If he runs into trouble he can always put the old hard drive back in as the master and download them after he knows which one(s) he needs.

What type of IDE ATA cable do you have connected to your hard drive Dogger? Are all the plastic connectors the same color or are they black, grey and blue? If they're black, grey and blue you shouldn't need to screw around with the jumpers on the hard drives. Just connect the new Master hard drive to the black end connector and the old Slave hard drive to the middle grey connector. The blue connector goes into the 0 or Primary channel on the motherboard. The hard drives should come factory defaulted to "Cable Select or CS or CSEL". But if the three connectors on the IDE cable are all black (or the same color) you'll need to manually set the jumpers on your new hard drive to "Master" and your old hard drive to "Slave". And put the new Master hard drive on the middle grey connector and the slave on the black end. They never make it easy. Check out this website to make sure:

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/...ct_ide_hd.html

But if you have the slower 40 pin ATA IDE all black connector cable then you may want to upgrade the ATA IDE cable to the faster 80 pin/ATA 100 cable to accomodate your faster, newer hard drive. But then you may need to plug the older, slower slaved hard drive into the Secondary IDE channel in order to get the faster speed out of your new hard drive. They will only run as fast as the slowest hard drive if they're both on the same IDE channel. Hopefully your old hard drive is an ATA 100 too so you don't run into this potential bottleneck. Since your computer is getting pretty old you may need to "manually" set the ATA speed to DMA 5 with a special driver/utility that you can download from Seagate's website.

I'm running an AMD FX-55 64 bit processor on my new computer. I finally jumped the Intel ship. Too bad it's back in Texas getting the motherboard replaced while I'm here in Florida! I'm on my old Intel P4 now. They say with the release of Windows 64 certain applications may run slower. Especially graphically intensive ones like games and flight sims. And it'll be awhile before any games are written solely in 64 bit code anyway. Kinda like the chicken and the egg deal. The market needs enough 64 bit processors to use the new 64 bit code for profit reasons so they don't want to write in purely 64 bit code until 64 bit processors become commonplace. Grrrr...

I don't know much about Linux but IMO it should only be run by computer enthusiasts/geeks. Not everything is compatible with it so you need to know how to tweak and "work-around" its incompatibilities. It may be a good idea to set up a dual boot system so you can learn as you go but to have your only computer running it may not be a good idea. It's not quite as "user friendly" as Windows.... or so I've heard.

So you think you ramble on CapnGimp!?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Blog Entries

Talking

Hey BOBKAT,
    It pays to read the thread, told him most of the b/u stuff you stated already(post 10).The why for' I still say cd backup is because I AIN'T altogether sure his drive isn't crapping out on him.
    As far as drivers on the RESTORE type discs, ALL of them I have ever dealt with from the major name brand manufacturers list the files in long number cabs. And they DO NOT unpack in a simple to read/know what ya got-format.
    In simple, ya gotta have drivers, if we are to do a CLEAN ME only install w/o using the restore discs, see post about me mailing him one.
    I once again say as in previous posts, if you can do it in windows, it is done 3 different ways and better in linux. Also, since he isn't a MS whiz to begin with, he would only be learning it the RIGHT way for his initial go,lol, not having to forget all the useless crap one has to learn to run MS junk.
    Linux is very user friendly, has more internal help than MS ever DREAMED of, plus a world of people who use/write code for it, willing to help. AND you rarely find the slew of unknowingly-wrong-way-MS-slave-types MISLEADING you with passed down faulty info.
    Until you have used a few versions, you will never know just how intuitive it is OUT OF THE BOX, period. Most people on wind0Ze boxes are completely lost outside of the basic software they use day to day anyway.
    When wind0Ze goes CLUNK, they have to get help to even USE their computer.
    SHOOT! Half the software on it is to protect/defend/repair/troubleshoot/etc/etc/etc/. Most people spend 25% of there time trying to get them fixed instead of USING them,ROFLMAO!!
    With linux, it doesn't crash/get infected/blue screen/ tell the world your info/lock up/ need 10 varieties of softare to c0ddle it along, need reloaded/defraggged/scanned/etc/etc/etc/.
    It works, period. Has all the software ya need, FREE. And has scads of manuals to tell ya what ya want to know. DID I MENTION FREE? Did I mention no VIRII, no ADWARE, no SPYWARE, no hassle computing at its INTENDED BEST.

DID I MENTION, he said he can't use Linux because his provider only supports windows? lol
    It is beyond me why the world follows after microsoft like Pavlov's Slobberin' Puppies. If your car came from the manufacturer in equivalent form, he would be outta biNess' in a week. Eating on the run, cause everyone would be out to lynch them.'
    I shall quit ranting now and go to bed,lol.
    G'night B0BK@T, you have a good evening, I will sleep well, knowing I have Linux as the first boot os on all 3 of my p00terZ. If bill's junk was invaded tomorry, I'd still be on here talking to linux losers, while all the virii invaded mosheenZ were getting fixed by some p0r feller like me....
    it MUST be a conspiracy, those dang left wingerZ...
    or iZZit them dang right wingerZZ...
    or iZZit the radical treehuggerZ...
    I bet it's the alienZ....
    naaaah, it's the newly evolved race from chipmunks...
    or did they evolve from fish....
    maybe somebody just put to many animalz in a pot and they evolved from IT!
    I ain't sweatin it tho, I still have a slide rule and 2 BIG hammers.
    Not to mention some rather FINE armament....
    and a slingshot....
    n a big p0inty stick...
    and if'n all that fails...
    I know in whom I believe.
    And it doesn't take a cell phone to call on Him either.

Besides, I know the end of the story, I read it all the way through.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaoziSailor
    Now that biz about being hooked up to a WinSattelite makes sense to me.

I can really go for that "The Great Artesian Spa is the centrepiece of Mitchell and the wider Booringa Shire. The large open-air spa has been making a huge splash among visitors to Mitchell. The warm waters are said to relax the muscles, ease tension and revitalise both the body and the mind."

Like the Capn' said, "I'll trade places with you"

Cheers!
    I say we swap him our computers/ conveniently crowded states for his passport and remote home/ befuddled computer, you get us there in your b0at, n I'll fetch the food from his fridge n c00k our first deprived of 'life' meal!
    LOL, Reckon he'll go for it?
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 11-25-2005 at 04:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Arrow

Hey B0BK@T,
    I meant to ask, how do ya like the 64 bit processor?...
    Since MS doesn't HAVE a 64bit operating system yet, you might want to try one of the 64bit versions of LINUX so you can USE that added versatility.
    Yes, I know, you would rather waste that h0ssp0wer and WAIT patiently for MS to come out with a buggy system so you can spend 187 bucks for it.
    I hope you know I'm just razzing you in g00d nature, even though the facts are true.
    Look for ya a version you like the characteristics of oand either download or buy a copy for less than 10 bucks and get it shipped to ya.
    I like SUSE or rather use it now.
    I have used Caldera, RedHat, Mandrake, TurboLinux,Knoppix off the top of my head... Do a hardware support search to ensure the version you pick supports all your hardware, and/or look for drivers from your mfg or within the linux community. Almost everything gets drivers written for it sooner or later.
    I think you will like it.
    And it DOES have games with them.
    Not to mention you can get vmware to run windows on top of linux
    http://www.vmware.com/
    there are others also.
    Anyway, that'll get ya started.
    John