Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing a clean reinstal of windows ME

Doing a clean reinstal of windows ME

** I am a computer retard , so please use small English words to answer**

My computer is starting to run pretty funny and I've been through all the normal things I know of to correct it . Defrag ; DiscScan ; Spyware check ; ran Norton Anti Virus , deleted temp files , cookies and history ; checked StartUp list ; done a restore and upgraded RAM from 128MB to 512MB .

I'm running windows ME and have had this computer for 4 years . It is the first computer I have ever used and in my ignorance I've probably managed to store a lot of rubbish on it that I don't need . Until early this year it ran really well and rarely gave any trouble . It is now slow and hard to start , sometimes requiring a reboot or two to start , slow to shutdown , often giving me the blue page with ''error'' on shutdown and quite often needs rebooting because it is running out of memory . I'm guessing that the thing to do would be a clean reinstal of ME and start again .

I use my Outlook Express as a notebook to store information that I want to retain and also have some things like my business accounting and photos stored on the computer . My question to start with is , could i do a partition of the hard drive to store this stuff on , then wipe the remainder of my hard drive clean and reinstal ME on the cleaned portion , put the stored stuff back into where it came from and wipe the rest of the hard drive clean ?

I do have a CD/DVD burner that I fitted myself but have never used and due to my location , getting hold of CDWRs [ is that the right term for rewritable CDs ? ] is difficult . My other thought on how to store this stuff while doing the the clean reinstal , is move them to a number of webmail accounts then bring them back later .

Any advice is welcome , but please keep it simple . You are dealing with a bloke who on the day the technician installed the satellite connection and computer , when told to '' boot his computer '' , had to be restrained from putting a size 9 piece of footwear through the screen . I have learnt a bit about the high tech pile of plastic and thingos since [ I don't leave my left over food in front of it to feed the little men inside anymore ] , but not much .

Thank you ,
    Dogger
    Last edited by dogger; 11-23-2005 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Every day I wake up is a good one .

Blog Entries

Arrow

Sorry, gotta store that stuff somewhere that you want to keep. In order to repartition a drive, you are by nature losing all on it, in your case. They do make software called PARTITION MAGIC that you can buy and redo your existing partitioning on the fly as you are wishing to do.
    HOWEVER, as it seems you are having problems, I would not try this.
    You can order CDR's online and have the mailman bring them to you. CDRW's are REwritable, like floppies, you use over and over. In my experience, they are not 100% reliable, ie,do not count on them working all the time.
    CDR's are write ONCE, permanent, like the cd's you listen to for music or buy software on. That would be what you want to get. Your solution to store things online would work also, especially if you have a fast connection, cable,dsl. If you are using a modem(telephone) this could be a trying experience(don't).
    Or you could get a USB drive and use it IF you have USBports on your computer.
    Always after burning a cd, shut down the burning software, put the cd ion and make sure your info is REALLY there. Make this a hard and fast rule for VALUABLE info, trust me. Only takes a minute.

If you have sufficient FREE space on it, and have done a thorough DEFRAG( check the box to fix bad sectors) and go to sleep with it running and NO SCREEN SAVERS/power savers enabled. Then it should not be saying insufficient memory. This is in reference to the swap file(page file, virtual memory,etc) being to small and since I doubt you manage it yourself, this means YOUR HARD DISK IS TOO FULL of stUph,lol. You should have a minimum of 500megs free. I can elaborate if you want.

What size is your hard drive(total in gigabytes) and I'll tell ya how to partition it to save ya problems like this. When you have everything backed up and are ready.

WHY DON"T YOU DO THIS.... Go buy a new hard drive, say 40, 60 or 80 gigabytes, and ADD it to your computer. As long as you have a spot on the motherboard( most can have 4 devices). If you have one of those non upgradeable(*^!&!#) computers, pull the cd drive and put it in its place. Format it, again, ask if ya want n I'll help, and back up yur data to it. Then Reload the old one and BINGO, you are back in bIness!

Are you using a newer, upgraded antivirus or the old one you bought more than 2 years ago??? THIS could still be a problem.
    Answer me n I'll hit ya up with some up to date info for your specific immediate needs.
    Sorry for the confusion, I rarely think in order,lol.

First thing to do is not re-install Windows ME. Windows ME was one of the worst releases Microsoft ever put out. If possible, upgrade to Windows XP. XP is a different animal and will protect you from viruses and spyware much better. It will also keep you automatically updated with the latest patches/fixes/virus blocking.

Blog Entries
    He may not want to waste 180 bucks on just an os. Spending a bit more he could have the whole SHEBANG. You can gettim for 300 in the right sales. WITH that MSos on it already.
    And Remember, it's an ME era computer, that makes it a tad slower running it. I'll hush now, can't cover all the bases one finger typing.
    GARSH I hate typing, I argue REAL GOOD talking, lol. But ya gotta have 2 good, fast ears, and a foundation to understand

I'm going back to put my lathe back together,lol.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    FIXES/BUGS/SPYWAre/ adware/DONKEY D00 AND waaay too much m00lah T00!!
    Another fine time to UPGRADE to Linux. You don't HAVE these problems. You don't need antivirus, antispyware, anti CRAP! It isn't a bunch of junk like windows and it is FREE, not 180 bucks.
    Since you are not a windows whiz anyway, you won't have to "learn a whole new system".
    It has all the software you need there with it FREE.
    No hassles either
    PN says UBUNTU works good on older computers, I've used other versions but looked at it and it is well supported and highly spoken of in the lunux community. Try it. Right now they will mail you the cds FREE.

Oh, did I mention Windows is NOT free?
    LOL, Pee-P00r JUNK that it is.
    There , now I feel better. Besides Fixed my lathe and it's off to turning that headset race for my new handcycle frame I B makin, did I mention...
    I WON'T be paying INVACARE 3 grand for one again,lol.
    I'm SICK I tell ya of money hungry people peddlin TRASH like it is gold.
    But I also got the medicine to fix it, not a pill, not from a "doctor" either.
    It's called common sense...if ya want something done RIGHT, do it yerself.
    I think they outta put MS and all these high priced equipment manufacturers in the SAME deep dark dungeon and let me be the jailer, sure, I got what ya need, got yer WALLET?
    Rant over....(slides weatherbeaten s0apb0x back under the bed)....
    Did I mention....
    I made it myself?
    lol
    I kill me.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 11-24-2005 at 12:02 AM.

Capn , I'm using Norton Antivirus 2005 , bought in August , something I'm not happy with as I spent the extra dollars and bought '''SymantecSystemWorks'' after being sucked in by their spiel and having been very happy with the previous Norton2002 AntiVirus I had . Running the NortonGoBack is what is causing part of my startup/shutdown problems I think . From what I've read since , Norton has gone to the pack in recent times .

According to my system information , I have a 20 Gig hard drive and I'm on a 2way Satellite connection that is reasonably fast . I do have 25 new CDRs here that I bought when I bought the CD burner and will look into the possibility of buying and fitting a new , bigger hard drive . I will also look into a USB drive as I have 2 spare USB ports and also have one of those adaptor thingos to plug into existing USB ports to use more USB devices . I did a proper full Defrag last night in the way you have suggested . Re buying new gear and Davey's suggestion of buying XP , I'll check into that , but computer stuff is much more expensive than in the US and dollars are a consideration . Bit of an example on costs here , I'm looking to buy a laptop in the future and our prices are nearly double [ depending on exchange rates ] yours .

Davey , I have never used any other OS , so don't know any better , but for 3 years I had no complaints about ME , I heard others complain about ME and couldn't understand what they were talking about .

Thank you , you have given me some thinking to do and I'll be back with more questions as I think of them ,

Dogger
    Last edited by dogger; 11-24-2005 at 12:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Arrow

I would try reading up on Norton's UNINSTALL tricks and uninstall it COMPLETELY. Clean the registry if ya can, that is why I say read at their site to ensure you get complete removal.
    Then reinstall the new version. If is ays something like detected registry settings from previous instal do ya wanna use'm say NO
    but this hints ya didn't get rid of all traces, there MAY be slow problems again, hopefully not.
    I'd try that first.
    As far as new drive, just get an internal as I stated above, so you won't be paying extra for the usb part. Then you'll be in good shape.
    I'd seriously look into linux.
    Download a LIVE version and burn it to cd and try iit out.
    If ya get another internal drive, save a spot on it when partitioning, leave that part unused and install linux AFTER installing ME. You can then boot into either OS, so you can learn it that way.
    ANYWAY, holler if ya need somethinmg.
    I HOPE my SPONGEBOB riding britches(cold weather) show up in my above p0st soon, you'll get a kick outta them, Sp0ngeB0b longjohns, my sis gottem for me as a joke, didn't think I had the cahones ta wear'em,lol. Shoulda known better, year two sport'n em ever chance I gIt!

{that boy ain't right...}

Blog Entries

Cool MY SpongeBobs

since it doesn't wanna work above...I was getting dressed for a 55 degree handcycle ride.

Blog Entries
    I give up, it is not showing up.
    I've had speed probs with this site off and on all day.

Ok , I've looked into buying another hard drive and that seems possible , here is the one I found ...... Seagate Barracuda 40GB 7200rpm ATA100 IDE HDD - 2MB Cache (5 year) ...... Just checking if I have this right , before I go ahead and buy it . If I do this , I'll be able to store my stuff on one HD while doing a clean install on the other ? IE , no need to burn CDs , get a USB driver , or store stuff [ i think it is really called data ] on webmail ?

I'll look into a reinstal of Norton tomorrow , I've had enough of this turnout for today and my beer fridge is crying out for some attention .

Thanks for your patience , I'd much rather be helping you build your h/cycle , that is right up my alley , than mucking around with these electronic mirror and hanky gizmos .

Dogger.
    Last edited by dogger; 11-24-2005 at 01:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Yes this is what ya want.
    We will be putting the fresh ME install and all your software on the new drive w/o touching old one so you can THEN go get the valuable files off it and update your software after it's installed. Then when you know everything is cool, we will repartition the OLD drive.
    By changing the boot device in bios we can switch back and forth if need be. You can copy files from the old after new is set up in any event.
    Do you have a floppy drive and GOOD floppy and do you have a Windows ME cd and serial numbers? Or do you have a reload disc with all your software built in with it? Like usually comes with HP, Compac etc machines?
    If you have seperate discs, do you have driver discs for the hardware on your machine?
    Also if I remember correctly you need to boot from a windows 98 floppy to partition/format the drive, but most new hard drives come with a cd that you can also use to do this.
    For some reason MS didn't make the ME cd bootable to install I THINK, could be wrong gotta look in morning to be sure.
    Any whoo, get the drive and we;ll get the instructions lined out for ya b4 you start
    do ya have a printer to print the instructions on?
    IF you were to get stuck, we might out to swap phone numbers so I can help ya. I think weekend would be best for frree minutes on my cell, gotta check that to be sure,lol. I'm heading to sn00ze myself, we'll continue tomorrow.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 11-24-2005 at 03:11 AM.