Thread: If you want to avoid problems...

Blog Entries

Lightbulb If you want to avoid problems...

Instead of using 99 different programs to prevent spyware, adware, virii, aliens, b00gerz, funny smells and Elvis from infecting your computer....
    Use ONE program. It's called Trend Micro (the manufacturer)PC-cillin Internet Security. It has all these things inside plus firewall. I won't go into all the details. You can read and decide for yourself. I have recommended this to everyone for almost 6 years now. I use it on every computer I own or manage for others. PERIOD. I do not use Norton, McAfee or any free av types. I have had to repair machines using all of these, multiple times. PERIOD.
    Take it for what it's worth. No arguments will be had from me. Buy it, SET IT UP PROPERLY and you will be safe, it's up to you.
    Don't say I never told ya.
    Yeah, I do make blanket statements occasionally and this is one of them. I am pained when I read others recommending eleventy two different programs when only one is needed. And all these others basically create vacUUm.
    Nuff said.

Thank you! I will check it out.

To keep a computer running well, I was told to go to "Windows Update" about 2x/month. Also, under "Tools" and "Internet Options", I should delete files and cookies about 2x/week. Is this true, and is there anything else I should be doing regularly?

If I buy the PC-cillin Internet Security that you suggest, should I first get rid of Norton, or is it okay to just leave it until it expires in January?

Or just buy a Mac.

Seriously though, you seem to know your stuff, Capn.

Blog Entries

Arrow

You can set windows to update automatically also,which is easier. Yes KEEP it updated, they are continually plugging holes in it as it is the LEAST secure OS in existance. Actually, I don't think secure and windows should be used in the same sentence. Kinda like good witch,lol.
    I use OPERA for a web browser, which kills a lot of the troubles surfing with explorer. I set my cookies to delete all new at exit. I have set restrictions on what cookies it will accept to begin with, which allowed me to store only the cookies required for sites like this, so I don't have to judge between keepers and non keepers anymore. This means change your settings to NOT accept all cookies. A large percentage of them are BASICALLY spyware, tracking the sites you visit, etc.
    You CAN NOT run 2 anti virus programs at the same time. If you switch to pc cillin, unplug your internet connection, uninstall your old AV program, install pc cillin, reconnect and update, set it to auto update every 3 hours(default) then set up how you want it to control the system.
    If you do get it, it's firewall is on by default, you may want to modify and or change completely. I have a NAT router AND I leave PC firewall on unless transferring files w/someone. No more break ins here.
    I sent the file, got your message AND email.
    Opera also has a MUCH better email client. Can't email virii automatically as with outlook express. When an email doesn't go through, you get a RETURNED MAIL RECEIPT from the ISP> alternately check your SENT folder to ensure it WAS sent also.

Blog Entries

Arrow

ALSO
    with Windows, your files get scattered ALL over the hard drive with each use. This slows it down as it has to find them each time to use them basically.
    You should defragment regularly, btw, the defragmenter included with windows does a POOR job of this, they will tell you so. You have to purchase a 3rd party defragmenter to use. The one I have is Executive Software Diskeeper. It keeps it in line REALTIME, set and forget.
    This is another BASIC item you should have with windows.
    Just one more in a long line of reasons to go LINUX. Somewhere someone said it is limited in certain ares. That was what I will term a not-knowing any better statement. If it is done with windows, it is done with linux.
    I shall not digress here.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Or just buy a Mac.

Seriously though, you seem to know your stuff, Capn.
    I was wounderJured in Feb 96, ol lady left me in Sept/I got my computer in Jan 97, put it on a desk. Built my first one in Feb97 and put it in my bed beside of me. Began to get serious with it, and we have been together ever since. LOL.
    I know more about taking care of/keeping happy and safe my computers, than I EVER did my wImInZ. AND they don't fuss.
    There are some things they can never replace, but I can replace them when they cause trouble. You go to jail for hitting your ol lady. I can beat my computer with a sledge hammer an get NARY a sideways glance.
    I don't get forced to sleep at a buddies house so the computer can have someone over. I don't get headaches listening to all the false accusations. I don't have to worry about someone hurting my computer when it is being stupid or is drunk or on crack, etc.
    Little wonder I know my stUph.

I am not a stand up comedian as I cannot stand up.
    I kill me.
    L0L.