Thread: I need a new sling

Got any quad friends from the VA, that can spare or sell you a sling?

My friend is a C1-4 complete and uses a VA sling, with that one it's very important that your caregiver positions it correctly before lifting you. When laying flat one ones back, the back support part of the sling is suppost to be positioned at the base of the top of your shoulders, the leg support part of the slings are suppost to strech out even then placed undernieth butox and criss crossed at the crotch area. After lifting one up a few feet then caregiver can reposition you by lifting the sling from the shoulder area sliding it up towards ones head, so that one is in a more seated position.

P.S. Ive heard that the mesh slings can injure skin, so try to find a canvas one.

Blog Entries
    Did you find out what type of sling to get yet?

Nope and I thank you all for your help.

There is no VA sling. The VA purchases commercial lifts and slings from a variety of commercial companies.

It is unfortunate that you got a Hoyer brand lift. You couldn't give me one of them for free.

You will have problems finding a different brand sling for this, although you could try a Liko sling or Arjo or Wy'east brand sling.

(KLD)

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kkmay
    Nope and I thank you all for your help.
    Hey Kevin,
    I don't know about slings as I never used one. Could you perhaps describe what you have and it's reason for not working( fit/shape, size, way it attaches, etc). And describe what you think you might need? I'll try to help ya out once I know how.

Kevin, I am also 5'!0" a little heavier than you. I have the same type of lift. I use a sling which requires chains. Beyond that I use an additional 4' strap under my knees. The strap is for balance. Possibly with the addition of a strap for balance your sling may work for you.
    Bob

The Hoyers requiring slings underwent a safety recall several years ago....danger of tipping over. You may want to explore replacing that lift.

(KLD)

I have been using an Invacare sling for the last six years. It is a mesh sling with a commode opening. It works very well with different brands of lifts. I have used it with the lifts the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota uses, the lifts that my local nursing home uses, and the lifts that my local hospital uses. All of these lifts are different brands. The best thing about these slings is that you don't have to cross the sling above the legs when you hook it up. I have been using mind for over six years now and have had no skin problems with the mesh. I think the new ones have a lining over the mesh. The Invacare web site is www.invacare.com. They have a nice selection of slings.