Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: An Overdue Update

An Overdue Update

Hi everybody,
    I don't post much, but I thought I would tell my story today. I hope it is helpful to some people and anyone can feel free to contact me at thepringle109@hotmail.com

I was in a MVA Jan 2004, fracture dislocation of T12-L1 incomplete. I had zero feeling and movement from hips down. Everyday I tried to move my legs and feel my legs. I had my brother move my legs as I tried to move them. 2 months later, I moved my one ankle about 1/4 inch, but could only do it twice that day. The next day I moved it a few more times until it wouldn't move again. I did this day after day.

About 3 months in, I moved my right quad about and inch off the bed. I continually moved everything I could along with trying to move everything I couldn't. About 6 months in, I tried standing between some paralell bars which my arms had to carry atleast half my body weight, but I did it.

About 9 months in, I started walking short distances with a walker. Basically, here I am almost 2 years in and started about 3 months ago walking on my own without canes. I cant jump and my right leg can still only push 40 lbs, but I push myself to walk.

I have created my own exercise programs and continually change them to keep improving the best I can. I never sat around waiting for a doctor or physio to tell me what to do, I am in control of my life and I try to make my life better everyday. I still don't have much feeling and don't have B&B control or feeling, which still frustrates me.

I am a very positive person with a very high personal motivation level. I keep working at this everyday and when life throws sh*t my way, I just try to smile back. I have been told by everybody I know that they can't figure out how I handled this situation so well. People can't figure it out, but I basically try to live by a few principles.

1) That which does not kill me, makes me stronger
    2) A persons character is not shown when their life is good, but when faced with diversity
    3) I make my life and my happiness, nobody else
    4) Nothing worth while comes easy

I live everyday like it could be my last and make sure I am happy with myself even though my life used to be different. Oh ya, and my doctors said I would probibally not walk again, let alone without aids. I know that it was my drive that has got me this far. If I take a week off physio and exercise and just walk around like a "normal" life, it takes me about two weeks to catch back up to where I was strength wise. Will I have to keep doing physio and exercise for the rest of my life, probibally. Can my body keep doing everything I demand of it, who knows but I going to try.

This is my first try to help motivate others so some feedback would be appreciated. People keep telling me I have a good story that could help others, I don't know if I do or not. I just tackled this obsticle in life like anything else. What I did and how I did it is just who I am. I have had many other life obsticles through the past two years, some good, some bad but thought this was a long enough post.

I hope this helps keep some people motivated because here I am, walking only because I made myself do it.

Matt

Thank you for sharing your story. Hard work will maximize the return you get.

I assume that you are not implying that those who don't get return did not want it enough, or did not work hard enough though....

Personally I think you were very lucky to get the return you got, and you did not give up hope, and worked hard to strengthen what you did get.

(KLD)

I'm going to walk on a thin line here with what I have to say.

No I am not implying that those who don't get return did not want it enough, but I do know some people that got return sooner than I did or started with more that have not gotten very far with it. To me, that's because they didn't work hard enough. My muscles don't work near 100% of normal, but I make the 10% I have work like 25% of normal, which allows me to walk as I hope for some more recovery.

While I was in the hospital, I heard all the time, well we will just have to wait and see what comes back. Why would anyone wait? I don't think people maximize what they have and basically wait for it to come back. Me, I make sure that I strengthen every single muscle I can every day. Note that, I am not talking about the unfortunate people who didn't get any recover to work with, my heart goes out to them.

I think there are many people out there that could live a good life without a chair, not the same life as before SCI, but they don't put in the effort needed. I think it's the same reason so many people join the gym every new years and never end up going after February, most people just can't commit to something 100% for a long period of time, like the rest of your life.

Sorry if I offended anybody, that's not my intent.

Matt

matts ,
    you are very very lucky you have gotten the return you have so quickly. you are also lucky your injury was at such a low level.
    the rest of your statements and thoughts about your heroic hard work and others being lazy is basically crap
    cauda equina

MattS:

I find your story inspirational. I'm very glad to hear of your 2 year update. I'm 7 weeks post injury (MVA, L1 burst fracture) and working hard both at rehab and home exercises. I'm very determined to walk and make the most of the muscles I have.

I'd love to hear the type of home exercise regimen you've got.

Hey Metronycguy,
    I'm sorry to hear that you think so much luck is involved. I don't know what your story is but I didn't wait around for luck to get me where I am today. As for as you say, my heroic hard work, I didn't say I did anything heroic, all I do is capitalize on any opportunity in life, big or small and 95% of the people I meet don't. Like I said earlier, I don't post often because I know I have some strong views that people don't agree with but I wanted to try and help out the 5% that think similar to myself. Sorry to offend you.
    Matt

Hey Dan nc

Send me an e-mail and I would be happy to chat with you.
    thepringle109@hotmail.com

Matt

Matt,

Not to answer for anyone else, just my personal experience. There are those who have a SCI or a major injury that decide they will just wait to die. Others try to fight their way back. Fighting tooth and nail with all the determination in the world isn't all it takes to get back to walking after SCI. Due to the nature of our contributing factors, complications, secondary conditions, and so on, we are not all able to have return.

You can take 100 of us, have us in the exact same accident, with the exact same injury and we will all have varying levels of damage, function, and return. If it came down to determination and not being lazy, then SCI would be a nonissue.

I applaud you for your accomplishments. We have an incomplete quad on this board that is walking and it's been a little over a year since his accident. Did he work hard for it? You betcha. So did several other people on this board - yet they have zero return.

I think it's a great disservice to those coming to the board that are looking for answers; they end up reading this kind of thing and think "Wow this isn't a big deal, I just need to bust my hump and exercise then I will be walking again in a year." Granted they will get farther by exercising instead of sitting and doing nothing, but there are more things to consider than just hard work in therapy.
    Last edited by Jadis; 11-23-2005 at 01:29 AM.

I hope this helps keep some people motivated because here I am, walking only because I made myself do it.
    What a load of crap! If SCI people could reverse their injury through hard work there wouldn't be any SCI people. Well, perhaps a lazy or masochistic few. And there wouldn't need to be a forum here entitled "Cure" or doctors, scientists and researchers around the world wasting their valuable time trying to find/create a cure.

You were just lucky that you didn't permanently damage your spinal cord to the degree that most of us here have. I have exactly the same amount of function (T-5) today as I had when I was lying in a ditch on the side of a road 26 years ago. As I laid there staring up the rain started falling and I couldn't feel the rain drops from my nipple line down. The same exact level at which my sensory and motor function is at today as I sit in this fuckin' wheelchair typing my response to your ridiculous assertions.

No I am not implying that those who don't get return did not want it enough, but I do know some people that got return sooner than I did or started with more that have not gotten very far with it. To me, that's because they didn't work hard enough.
    That's because they had different injuries. Geez... your ego is hard to take. If you broke your leg I imagine you would credit your good character and great determination when after a couple/few months the recuperative properties of your body fused it back together.

Bravo for you Matt. What a narcissistic piece of work you are. If you're a religious person I would suggest counting your blessings.

This is my first try to help motivate others so some feedback would be appreciated.
    You want some feedback? You come across as a person only too willing to blow his own lucky horn while taking personal credit for his good luck as he rubs the noses of the "less motivated" and less fortunate in his stinkless shit.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Matt, I am also a walker. In fact, I can run, skate, play golf, etc. Clearly by your reasoning I am a much more motivated individual than you. I work harder than you and get better results. Step it up man...

Or do you think I was fortunate? (like I do...)
    Last edited by gvinton; 11-23-2005 at 06:26 PM.