Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird new feeling in finger & now movement in thumb? Cyst?

Weird new feeling in finger & now movement in thumb? Cyst?

I'm worried I may have a cyst. I have been hurt for 23 years with no problems. But last week my index finger on the inside near joint is feeling weird. But I also noticed some new movement in my thumb on the same hand a few days later. I'm wondering if a cyst is expanding & causing the weird felling in my finger & also causing new movement in thumb . I had an MRI about 2 or 3 years ago they said all clear. I was complaining about burning pains in both of my hands back then.

wierd feelings in your hands after new movement doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but if you're concerned you should get it checked out. congrats on new movement though!

if it's swelling and you're getting pain in that finger, there may be a problem.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Tingling

I always have tingling hands on and off. I used to think it as light ad, and it might be... but they get a little numb feeling at night... and tingly wen im in pain... Noyt sure if its anything big... but It hasnt killed me yet. Mike (FLA)
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Norm,

New movement can signal different things. If you are concerned about it, I would have it checked out by your doctor. If necessary, a comparative MRI can be done to the one you had done in the past.

AAD

The burning pain is real bad again in my hands. I wonder if its the heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    The burning pain is real bad again in my hands. I wonder if its the heat?

Heat does this to me terribly, hands, arms, chest and/or legs. Basically the part thats hot.

I hate it!

If you are having any neurologic changes that you are not comfortable with, I would at least call my sci doc- it could be the increase in movement, the heat, or any number of things.
    Better safe than sorry-
    CKF

Central pain often shows up in the most distal (distant) parts of the body, so the burning sensation might be a manifestation of that.

For those who don't know, central pain is neuropathic pain caused by damage to sensory nerves in the CNS, like the cord. SCI doesn't have an exclusive on it, some folks with strokes, MS, and other 'fun' conditions have to deal with this as well.

Norm
    Burnibg in your hands could be from leaning to much on your elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    I'm worried I may have a cyst. I have been hurt for 23 years with no problems. But last week my index finger on the inside near joint is feeling weird. But I also noticed some new movement in my thumb on the same hand a few days later. I'm wondering if a cyst is expanding & causing the weird felling in my finger & also causing new movement in thumb . I had an MRI about 2 or 3 years ago they said all clear. I was complaining about burning pains in both of my hands back then.
    Norm, is this the question that you wanted me to answer? Sorry I did not answer when it was first posted. I didn't know the answer to your question, had intended to post but forgot.

I don't know what it is due to. This is the first time that I have heard about an ambient temperature induced dysesthesia. The movement in your thumb is interesting as well.

The only thing that I can think of is a study from several years ago showing that people with cervical spinal cord injury often develop abnormal connections between the cervical segments just below the injury site and the lower spinal cord. For example, a majority of people get a thumb movement when their legs are lightly brushed particularly in the thigh region. This develops years after injury and is believed to be due to abnormal sprouting of axons that connect the cervical segments and lumbosacral segments.

It should not be weather related. The symptoms that you describe don't appear to be those of a syrinx. Also, your MRI would reveal a syrinx if there was one there.

Wise.