Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Releasing a dying person

My step father had prostate cancer that spread to many places in his body. He could barely speak as he was on so many pain pills. I remember the night he died in 1998. This was before I became a quad in 2000. My sister and I laid him bed with him and told him how much we loved him and that it was okay to go to the next level - heaven. That very night my Mom, an in home nurse and I moved LeRoy from his bed to a hospice bed in my Mom's living room. He died that night.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Save the last dance for me!"

Butt Monkey,
    Your post made me smile, thinking of my own Nana. Telling it like it is... right up to the end! I know this is a hard time, but I am glad to hear that your family is gathered with her. Sounds like she is in good hands.

Karla

I have cried reading many of these posts. I'm crying as I write about my Granddaddy.

I was with him the last few days in the hospital. He had had cancer for years and he was wearing down. My Granddaddy was one of my favorite people ever. He was funny, kind, intelligent and had always been there for me. It was time for me to be there for him.

He had lapsed into a coma, but I was sure he still heard us. I asked other relatives to not talk about him as though he had died, but to talk to him. At first, they did not listen, but soon they followed what I did. As we each told Granddaddy how we felt about him, tears slid from the corners of his eyes. I held his hand and cried with him. I knew he heard and had been hearing.

The next morning, I went home to shower and returned to the hospital. He was still alive, still in a coma. I went to his side and told him everything I'd ever wanted to say to him. I told him he had been the best Granddaddy a girl could have ever had. I also told him it was okay, that I knew he was so very tired and I was going to miss him so much more than I could say or know.

Mom (his daughter) was with me as was a hospital chaplain. Granddaddy died within fifteen minutes of me giving him "permission" to go.

While telling him goodbye was the hardest thing I'd ever done, I would not have been anywhere else. I did not want him to be alone when he died. He was at the hospital when I came into this world. I needed to be there when he left.

He died twenty years ago this month. It often still feels like yesterday.

Just before my meeting with gravity I was nurseing before med-school and look after a terminal abdominal CA patient ... I learnt alot ... I nursed him for a month.

Death is a fearful, often traumatic event. Sometimes it is preceded by suffering, the result of the infirmities of age, disease or injury. Often death is shocking and unexpected. Family and friends suffer the pain of loss. The Scriptures refer to death as "the last enemy" to be conquered (1 Corinthians 15:26) and note mankind's innate fear of death (Hebrews 2:15). Death remains one of life's greatest mysteries.

Religions offer a variety of answers, some credible and some beyond belief. Their explanations often contradict one another, adding to the confusion and uncertainty about what happens after death. Some teach that people are born with immortal souls; some say people are immortal souls. Many believe that after death the soul is conscious and proceeds to a literal place or condition of bliss or torment. Others teach that upon death the soul is absorbed into a "greater consciousness." Some expect to be reincarnated, coming back to earth as another person or as an animal.

Let's see how this word is used to refer to mankind in the Scriptures. The first place we find nephesh referring to mankind is in the second chapter of Genesis: "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul" (Genesis 2:7).

The word translated "soul" in this verse is again the Hebrew word nephesh. Other translations of the Bible state that man became a living "being" or "person." This verse does not say that Adam had an immortal soul; rather it says that God breathed into Adam the "breath of life," and Adam became a living soul. At the end of his days, when the breath of life left Adam, he died and returned to dust. In death his life and consciousness simultaneously ceased.

The soul (nephesh) is not immortal, because it dies. This is clear in the Bible. For example, the prophet Ezekiel quoted God: "Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine; the soul who sins shall die" (Ezekiel 18:4, see also verse 20). Again, the Hebrew word translated "soul" in this verse is nephesh. Ezekiel states that the soul can die. It is mortal-it is in no way immortal-because it is subject to death.
    http://www.radicalmobility.com
    It's not a wheelchair it's a lifestyle!

Blog Entries

Geeez, a little heavy we seem to be getting in this thread,

from children, spouses, grandparents, our pets, but what about ourselves?
    Those of us suffering sci can probaby recant our own near-death experiences that got us in these god-for-saken situations.
    Am I wrong?

I loved each and every one of these stories. My family has had many similar experiences. Including this one. My uncle died of cancer as well. Started in the prostate and moved to the lungs and spine. He was very ill but made it to my wedding. It was one of the things he had promised me he would live to see and he did. A few months later he was very near death and waited until all his children were present and then he passed an hour later. We all released him as well. My family is a firm believer in hospice care and the releasing process. My uncle was the glue for our family in many ways and we are a very close bunch. He was a fighter and would have hung on even longer had we not done this I am sure.

A few years ago I had to put my beloved dog down and we had the releasing chat too. She had been my first true responsibility and it was very hard to let her go. I am being faced with that possibility with my other dog whom I have had for as long as my first as well. I plan on releasing her too when the time comes.

Tanya