Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All or Nothing?

yep I agree...as a quad I'd def like to have my arms/hands/fingers
    Blah

Like the others.... bladder alone is not enough. Bladder and bowels would probably do it, though. I might feel like a cop out. But only for 5 minutes.

OTOH, bowel, bladder and sex..... bring it on!

I met an expat quad a few years ago with some kind of neuromuscular disease. He was living in the Philippines. He could barely use his hands for anything. It was almost painful watching him hoist a big rum and coke. He did get to drink most of it..... but was constantly sloshing it all over himself in the process. He could barely feed himself. He had a manual chair but couldn't push it himself. He couldn't transfer. Sounds pretty disabling. But he had full B/B/S. The guy in many ways was much less disabled than me. He was a Brit, got piss drunk all the time, slept with multiple girls who would drag him home, shag him, take what they were owed from his wallet and then leave in the morning. Everyone knew him and pushed him in his chair whereever he needed to go. He just lived. With very few problems. The hotel staff at the dump he lived in would set him on the toilet once a day and point the shower at him. Pretty easy life. Not exactly my style. But shows me that the joy and freedom of full B/B/S would be nearly impossible to resist.

As a lower middle quad who has been independent for decades my hands would not be enough. At about C6/C7 we can learn to do most things for ourselves. Triceps mean we can transfer. So..... unlike slightly higher injuries, full hands wouldn't sway me the way B/B/S would.
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Like the others.... bladder alone is not enough. Bladder and bowels would probably do it, though. I might feel like a cop out. But only for 5 minutes.

OTOH, bowel, bladder and sex..... bring it on!

I met an expat quad a few years ago with some kind of neuromuscular disease. He was living in the Philippines. He could barely use his hands for anything. It was almost painful watching him hoist a big rum and coke. He did get to drink most of it..... but was constantly sloshing it all over himself in the process. He could barely feed himself. He had a manual chair but couldn't push it himself. He couldn't transfer. Sounds pretty disabling. But he had full B/B/S. The guy in many ways was much less disabled than me. He was a Brit, got piss drunk all the time, slept with multiple girls who would drag him home, shag him, take what they were owed from his wallet and then leave in the morning. Everyone knew him and pushed him in his chair whereever he needed to go. He just lived. With very few problems. The hotel staff at the dump he lived in would set him on the toilet once a day and point the shower at him. Pretty easy life. Not exactly my style. But shows me that the joy and freedom of full B/B/S would be nearly impossible to resist.

As a lower middle quad who has been independent for decades my hands would not be enough. At about C6/C7 we can learn to do most things for ourselves. Triceps mean we can transfer. So..... unlike slightly higher injuries, full hands wouldn't sway me the way B/B/S would.
    i can tell everyone this. having the b/b function i have does make sci life easier and more comfortable,.its not normal, but its good enough. so im sure it would really help most of you out.

you dont need triceps to transfer....good hands would help but i have learned to adapt there.

now i want to walk./ i would take the use of my legs rather than my hands back in a heartbeat.

i can definately understnd you guys wanting b/b above walking, after looseing it then getting enough back to function, i do have empathy in that area.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote:"I met an expat quad a few years ago with some kind of neuromuscular disease. He was living in the Philippines. He could barely use his hands for anything. It was almost painful watching him hoist a big rum and coke. He did get to drink most of it..... but was constantly sloshing it all over himself in the process. He could barely feed himself. He had a manual chair but couldn't push it himself. He couldn't transfer. Sounds pretty disabling. But he had full B/B/S. The guy in many ways was much less disabled than me. He was a Brit, got piss drunk all the time, slept with multiple girls who would drag him home, shag him, take what they were owed from his wallet and then leave in the morning. Everyone knew him and pushed him in his chair whereever he needed to go. He just lived. With very few problems. The hotel staff at the dump he lived in would set him on the toilet once a day and point the shower at him. Pretty easy life."

That was surely tongue in cheek Jeff. It doesn't sound like a very easy life to me. On top of that his condition is probably going to deteriorate.

I certainly am no doctor other than md by tv .. lol .. but it just seems bladder return is something tangible we could have TODAY instead of the cure is coming .. another 5 to 10 to 20 years down the road ..

Sign me up for a nerve graft and I'll find the donor! The bladder isn't THAT far from the spinal cord!
    Last edited by lynnifer; 11-21-2005 at 04:27 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

No way. I've been injured for two days shy of one year now, and wouldn't trade any fraction of a cure in the near future for a guaranteed full recovery sometime down the road, so long as it would happen before old age incapacitates me anyways! I void straining though, and don't have to cath or deal with UTI's, so that's not such a huge issue for me.

I remember in the hospital people told me that SCIers would typically take their bladder control back before their ability to walk, and I still can't believe that. I'd trade my functional bladder for the ability to walk right now if I could. Pass me the caths, so long as I can use them while standing!
    I have met the dragon. . .

www.micksluck.com

Christopher - I don't know if his condition was worsening or not. It might not have been a disease. It could have been cerebral palsy for all I know. I tried to ask him but he kept changing the subject.
    My post was indeed slightly tongue in cheek. But my point is that full B/B/S makes one's life A LOT EASIER. Bowel regimens at 3 hrs a pop. Cathing all the time. Accidents. UTIs. ED. AD. It never ends. Eliminating bowel and bladder issues opens up 20 hours per week of free time. And all that free time could be spent shagging away having real ejaculatory, orgasmic sex. The relaxation alone would be phenomenal. No more consoling oneself about having "different sex." And saving a fortune in time and money not spent on fertility work in order to father a child.

Giving me my hands back wouldn't change my life that much. It would still revolve around all the bowel, bladder and sex issues and limitations. Giving me back B/B/S....... well, that would be like night/day.
    Last edited by Jeff; 11-21-2005 at 06:45 PM.
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

What a good question.
    Bladder wouldn't be enough for me, but 6 mths ago (before I went from SPC to cathing myself) it would have.
    Being 44, I would go for the hand/arm movement. Playing guitar again would be totally awesome, it's something I still really miss and think about a lot, even 12 yeears post.

Just bladder, not enough of a reason.
    B,B,S would definately change everything though.
    I got a different scenario for you guys, How about B,B,S over a complete cure within 10 years. How much of a time are you willing to wait?

I'd give anything just to get full use of my hands, arms, and upper body. I don't care about bowel, bladder, or sexual function. I can live without those as long as I can be independent, otherwise. A life without PCAs or dependence on other people would be heaven.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta