Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: All or Nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    As it relates to this hypothetical topic and any gains/return:
    It's about managing life and living independently - independently, meaning on your own, NOT simply managing those things you need OTHERS to help you live.

Many noted B/B/S as being important, maybe more important than having other control back such as hands. If one was paralyzed from the neck down with no use of arms/hands but had B/B/S, well... what does that mean? They can feel B/B/S? They can hold their B/B until ready to eliminate?

So they can piss and shit but can't get to a toilet to do their business nor wipe their own ass.

So they can hold their B/B. But no normal human being can hold B/B indefinitely, so not being able to get to the bathroom to eliminate would make B/B function less important, unless one finds the actual act of urine and stool elimination (w/o hand and upper body, to be relegated to laying in own waste) to be more important than the ability to eliminate on own, in private, and have capacity to clean self up.

Having Sexual function means...? Having sensation? Sensation primarily (for all) and ability for erections (for men)? Sexual function in this respect, but without having control of basically the rest of your body - from neck down? So does sexual function for this crowd mean it is more important to feel genital stimulation but not physically be able to engage in sexual activity in other ways that enable physical expression on own and with another?
    So sexual function equates to being an immoble body that just lays there or is propped up into various positions by someone else? Is sexual function referring to feeling genital stimulation and being roused by sensations? If so, then any physical and bodiy expression of one's arousal and pleasure is limited to tactile genital feeling?

What is Sexuality and experience of the Sensual (to you)?
    I think you are going with the extreme example here. I mean yes if someone is paralised from neck down they are probably not gonna choose B/B/S over upper body function, for all the scenarios that you mentioned above. However I think most of the people that chose B/B/S over cure in 20 years had all or most of their upper body function. At least I do.

Me wants me hands back,me wants em back now and what i would do to have them back would make the devil cry..ya's can keep my legs..

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Me wants me hands back,me wants em back now and what i would do to have them back would make the devil cry..ya's can keep my legs..
    Quote Originally Posted by joshrai
    For me, being a C6 and at the age of 19, I'd do anything, and I do mean anything to get my upper body working again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    i'm with Rehab and Jayday on this..... i'd sit forever just to have my hands back...

Make that 4 of us.
    I think getting hands and independence back will always be number one for those who need that. Thankfully, initial cures which innervate only two or three levels below injury will do just that for the majority of tetraplegics. Even if you don't believe a full cure is coming soon..... it's hard to deny that a few levels of innervation will be here soon. Help is on the way.
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    You and me both buddy.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber