Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All or Nothing?

Question All or Nothing?

Bear with me because it's another 'what if question' ... I'm just curious.

If you could have your bladder back in 5 or less years, but it would exclude you from a complete cure in 20 ... would you do it and why?

I only would because I'm 33 ... keeping in mind my bone density, pressure sores on feet, AGE and atrophied muscle ... I'd rather have my bladder back. Having bladder back would mean no more UTI's, no risk for sepsis, no AD or pain and total control with no accidents.

If I waited 20 years, I'd be 53 .. I'm not sure I'd still be around by then and even if I were, my shoulders would be pained and not totally up to walking parallel bars or going through any intensive rehab. I already have the joints of an 80yr old according to the last Nuc Med tech I saw .. lol.

Your answer and reasoning please with your age and length of paralysis ...

T12 for 20 years
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Wouldn't take bladder in five years - I cath, never void and rarely get utis - but as a quad I would take full restoration of hands/arms in five years over a full cure in 20.

Have to say I have no pain and no major bowel issues. If I did I might think differently

C5/6 inc - injured almost 1 year
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I know my husband would have taken the bladder control over the total cure. He had too many UTI's and sepsis was the, or at least a contributing, factor in his death. And at his age at injury (51) a cure in 20 years wouldn't have been any help to him though he certainly would have wanted it for everyone else!

Lynnifer,

No I wouldn't. I'm C5/C6 complete since age 7, and I'm almost 31 now. My bladder has been good to me I guess. I had a condom cath for 22 years, and that was a drag. Always coming off, constant sores on my penis from the irritation, and ultimately the stretching of my bladder to giant size. Still, I only averaged one uti every 3-4 years, until the bladder stretching. Now I have a sp cath, and I'm in urinary tract nirvana (for a quad!). Some people hate leg-bags. I've had them my whole life practically, so they don't bother me much.

Now, as for RehabRhino's suggestion, full arm/hand movement in 5 years vs cure in 20 years. Arm/hand function in 5 years is the winner by a landslide. Even if I had to give every adult male in Canada a bj as part of the arm/hand function therapy, I'd still choose that over a no-strings-attached cure in 20 years. Yes, I am being deadly serious this time.

Just to clarify, I'm a staunch heterosexual.

Chris.
    Last edited by Zeus; 11-19-2005 at 10:48 AM.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

I'd rather be able to poop.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Wouldn't take bladder in five years - I cath, never void and rarely get utis - but as a quad I would take full restoration of hands/arms in five years over a full cure in 20.

Have to say I have no pain and no major bowel issues. If I did I might think differently

C5/6 inc - injured almost 1 year
    DING DING DING...

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    Now, as for RehabRhino's suggestion, full arm/hand movement in 5 years vs cure in 20 years. Arm/hand function in 5 years is the winner by a landslide. Even if I had to give every adult male in Canada a bj as part of the arm/hand function therapy, I'd still choose that over a no-strings-attached cure in 20 years. Yes, I am being deadly serious this time.

Just to clarify, I'm a staunch heterosexual.

Chris.
    lmao chris...

i'm with Rehab and Jayday on this..... i'd sit forever just to have my hands back...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Bladder and bowels, and sex, yeah, for sure.

Bladder alone? I don't know, I've been so lucky in that regard...I intermittent self cath, and *knock on wood* haven't had a uti that needed antibiotics for 15 years or more. I'm 20 years post like you Lynnifer, but T4/5.

But I'm 44, getting a full cure at 64 doesn't leave me much time for enjoying it, especially with the health problems associated with sci aging...I might not even make it to 64, anyway.

I guess I would take the bladder, it would really simplify going to the bathroom while traveling around the country, which I hopefully plan on doing for a year or three. Simplify it everywhere, at all times, for that matter.

Good "what if" question lynnifer...I used to be a cure "homie," and along with Jeff and GaryM and da and melliska, and some others, used to battle the people who wanted more money for care versus cure back in the beginning of spinewire days, years and years ago. I still believe cure research needs the appropriate funding, but am not as passionate as I once was just 10 short years ago.

But I've changed with age and with the lack of progress of cure research. I believe the "know how" is already here, but the apathy of the politicians and those who control the funding have changed my outlook on being cured in time to make much of a difference in my life due to the advanced age I'll be when the cure arrives, and is implemented for the masses.

Live for the minute is how I view the world more now, and the money I've saved over the years for cure surgery/therapies is going to be spent on having myself some enjoyment in this life, whilst I'm still not quite too old, and I'll die broke, but with a smile.

'Scuse the ramblin' post, please , I sometimes don't know what I'm going to write until it appears before me.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Id give alot to piss and schite like a big boy again,so ya probably..but i need/want my hands back..that to me,is the greatest indignity that SCI has dealt me..