Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quotes whats up with that

Quotes whats up with that

Whats up with the quotes ??? Why even bother ? I think they are not necessary. Saw a post on here that someone started with a quote then just wrote a 2 word answer. ?????? If your memory is that bad you need help. thanks
    Last edited by razzle51; 11-18-2005 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add

Quotes used when answering someones question is proper net etiquate. It is considered improper to answer a question in a post by just throwing the answer out there, especialy when you are several posts into a thread and many opinions and answers are given. You want people to know what you're answering and it prevents the possability of confusion in people thinking you are replying to something else instead of what you truely are responding too. It is a nessessary function of this message board and originated in email when you quote the original email when replying to it. Just because it is a one or two word reply is irrelivent when the prevention of confusion is achived. I'm sorry you don't understand the basics of how things work but you are on the right track by asking the question why. I hope this ansewers it for you and you are no longer confused and see the necessity of quotes now.
    Teyrn

I disagree. Quotes are often totally unnecessary, and waste space. If you address your comments to the appropriate person by starting your message with their name, or ONLY quote a few appropriate lines from their message (not their entire "novel"), this is sufficient. It certainly is not considered necessary "netiquite", not on this forum, or on most others that I frequent.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by razzle51
    Whats up with the quotes ??? Why even bother ? I think they are not necessary. Saw a post on here that someone started with a quote then just wrote a 2 word answer. ?????? If your memory is that bad you need help. thanks
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I disagree. Quotes are often totally unnecessary, and waste space. If you address your comments to the appropriate person by starting your message with their name, or ONLY quote a few appropriate lines from their message (not their entire "novel"), this is sufficient. It certainly is not considered necessary "netiquite", not on this forum, or on most others that I frequent.

(KLD)
    i agree and disagree... if it's a novel, it is a waste, but if someone has several replies, then you need to quote which reply you are addressing... quotes ARE necessary...

what is unnecessary is this thread.........lol..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quotes

i AGREE SCI NURSE Quotes are a waste of time

me too
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quotes are very useful in long threads because it specifies which post one is responding to. Some of our threads have hundreds of postings. While this site does organize answers by threads, I don't know how many people use the threaded display or bother to click the threaded answer icon (on the lower right of the post). Quoting the post that one is answering reduce the confusion.

For people who have limited mobility for typing and are using voice commands, the quoted answer is very convenient. A single click does the trick and they can start inserting their content. It minimizes the amount of mouse and keyboard activity necessary to get a post showing.

Wise.

I disagree about the quote function value.

Yes, in the right context it can be helpful for users who have difficulty.

However many members overuse and abuse the function.

No YOU Don't

You first say one thing (italics above), then another.

As you can see, SCI nurse qualified her statement; you did not.

vbmenu_register("postmenu_366513", true);

[IMG]customavatars/avatar7189_0.gif[/IMG]