Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried a UroCycler??? Prevents UTI's for people with Foleys!

Has anyone tried a UroCycler??? Prevents UTI's for people with Foleys!

I think I am going to give it a try.

http://www.urosolutions.com/UroCycler.ivnu

[This message was edited by Norm on Nov 27, 2002 at 10:01 AM.]

[This message was edited by Norm on Nov 27, 2002 at 10:03 AM.]

I guess this device is so new, no one has even heard of it.

i saw an add in NM but haven't tried it. I wonder about AD?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

So do I, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Uro-Cycler

From the information we have seen on this at our SCI center, we are advising against its use. It could cause problems in people with neurogenic bladder, including increasing pressures making you MORE subject to reflux and infections in the kidneys, and could cause AD in people who are subject to this.

(KLD)

What about in people with sensation?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

I had not heard of this device before and therefore decided to see if there are any studies of this device. I could not find any articles published in the peer-reviewed literature concerning the efficacy and safety of this device. While several web-based descriptions are available, most of them appear to have been written by the inventor, Dr. David Flinchblaugh, or his company. However, the following article was written by the Editor of Design and a second article explains several puzzling aspects of the device.

Basically, the urocyler is magnetic device that can be placed with inline with a foley catheter and allows urine to pass when the pressure exceeds a certain level. The device prevents urine reflux. So, several aspects of this device are attractive for people who use an indwelling foley catheter. Because it prevents reflux, it is safer than an open Foley catheter. Second, in theory, because it allows urine to pass only after it has reached a certain pressure, it should help increase bladder volume in people with bladder spasticity. Third, it attaches to the foley catheter and uses magnets when the bladder reaches "normal" voiding pressure, whereupon the valve allows the urine to drain and then closes. The actuation pressure is about 0.25 psi (pounds per square inch). The valve is made from magnets that seats them against the silicone flowbody. When the pressure pushes the magnets apart, the urine flows through.

Dr. Finchbaugh went through a lengthy process to identify the right magnets that has the correct closing and opening pressure. He had to find an appropriate material that would close and seal the catether flow. The valve as an 0.012 inch air intake and filter just downstream to the magnet, allowing air to enter the tube so that the urine can fully exit the tube (otherwise, the urine will remain in the tube due to the vacuum effect). The filter keeps out microbes and also prevents fluid flowing out if the bladder bag is squeezed and back pressure occurs. The filter is made from hydrophobic polyethylene micro pore respiratory filter than keeps out anything that is bigger than 0.4 microns. It allows air molecules to enter but prevents liquid saturation or passage.

The device is shown below. It is placed in-line with the foley catheter. The patent can be found at http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6673051.html. In my opinion, this is quite a clever device and answers many of my initial concern when I first heard of this. For people who have indwelling foley catheters, it seems to better than just having an open draining catheter. I don't know whether the 0.25 psi actuation pressure is the correct one but it seems reasonable. Finally, I like the fact that it actually allows the urine to drain ouf the tube. My only question is whether the device is reusable and, if so, how it would be cleaned.

Wise.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-12-2012 at 03:20 PM.

It looks like it has high potential for clogging.

they are reusable and they are designed to be changed once or twice per month but i change mine every 6 wks or so and i clean it with bleach water or just let plain water run through it.

when i started using one a lot of sediment and clumps of stuff came out for several days but it didnt clog. i changed it and since my bladder fills/voids on a cycle my urine looks normal.

im sure that if you continue to have a lot of sediment and it doesnt clear up then there is a risk of it clogging, just like the catheter can get clogged.

i also noticed that i dont get as many uti's and i feel it may be b/c my bladder has a more normal fill/void cycle. i still take all steps to avoid getting a uti that i took before i had a restored fill/void cycle but the uti's are less frequent.

Where do you buy them and what is the price?