Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flight in airplane

Unhappy flight in airplane

i´m c6 complete.
    After my accident i traveled 3 times by plane.
    I had the same experience in all flights (they were from 4 hours till 12 hours).
    i had a strange feeling during the fly.
    The sensation was like when you feel your bladder full or your kidnes ( swet a lot and a little headache), very uncomfortable the sensation and this situation is only when i sit in a regular position or tilt back in the seat´s plane.
    If i lean forward a little without touching my back with the back of the seat the sensation goes out

My kidness were well empty before each flight, and about the bladder in a short trip (4 hours)i didn´t have any catheter, in the long trip i use a catheter with ballon.
    Both of them happened the same
    So i don´t understand for what is this uncomfortable sensation?
    any one had this sensation before?

gaby, this was a topic of discussion a while ago.....we still don't have a definitive answer though.
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...ifferential%22

Were you sitting on your wheelchair cushion? This is recommended when flying. It is possible that you were having autonomic dysreflexia feelings due to poor pressure reduction over your buttocks. I would suspect this over your bladder as a cause of your AD.

(KLD)

cushion seat

do i have to take any action during the flight for a possible AD?
    i try to lift my butt as much as i can, but can´t hold me in the air
    the other user SMOKEY, take the wheelchair cushion and felt the same sensation.
    What do you recommend during the flight?

wear a Foley for flying or pop your ditropan before the flight

I get the same feelings. It's the seat and combo of a chnaged position (IMHO). I sweat profusely at times. I find the bulkhead relieves it some as you can stretch your legs out. I've never sat on my cushion as it would make me too "slidy" and I'd need a lift to get back up.

I bring a small towel, wrap it around my neck, put the blue blankie over my head and wait til the flight is over.

Land, go to the loo and chnage my shirt and dread the next flight!

this is so weird. i flew, what 17 hrs?, to australia with an indwelling. nothing like this. and my friend, who was ic, put in indwelling for flight. nothing for her either.

i have also flown many domestic flights w/indwelling.

ok, i had some drinks. maybe that was it. it does relax the bladder.

Could it be that you're overly anxious just by the thought of having to fly and maybe mentally fixating on your bladder? Compounded by the feeling of being "trapped" in a small area in a strange environment closely surrounded by strangers? And seemingly defying the laws of gravity!

I get nervous when I have to go to the dentist. Even though I plan for days, just the thought of being out of my wheelchair and stuck in that dentist chair makes me worry about bladder and bowel issues. Let alone the pain I'm about to encounter.

I haven't flown as a paraplegic. But the first time I flew AB'd my whole vacation to Florida was practically ruined by a severe earache. It took about a week for the pain to go away. I knew to pop my ears by holding my nose and blowing out but that didn't help any. I didn't chew any gum as recommended either because I was too busy mentally keeping the aircraft aloft while nervously tossing down gin and tonics and chain smoking cigarettes (back in '75 - '79). On consequent flights I experienced ear discomfort but never as bad as on my first flight.

I don't usually recommend drugs but since commercial air travel is a special occasion maybe 5-10mgs of Valium before boarding would help. It would relax you and smooth out the muscle spasms too. You could also make sure that you're 100% UTI free before you fly. Perhaps a few days of antibiotics prior to your flight would assure that you're not infected. Talk to your doctor about it.

The last time I traveled 2000 miles was roundtrip from Florida to New Jersey when I helped my cousin drive. I rigged up a pair of wooden "hand controls" that tied onto the brake and gas pedals with sneaker laces. If at all possible I say screw being tossed around like a sack of potatoes while transferring on and off those confining and germ-laden airliners.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Hi,

I've just flown from san fran to NY 4 times in 2 weeks. The only thing that alleviated the pressure (thats what i'm guessing causes the feeling u describe - happens to your ears, why not your organs-) was popping an extra ditropan (I used valium, too, but only the ditro really helped).

Good luck
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Oh yes I forgot, I did fly from Boston to Las Vegas a couple months ago and I inserted a foley (with a 10cc. balloon) that morning. Typically I intermittently cath during the day when not flying. I also took 20mg. of Ditropan instead of my usual 10mg. and I felt nothing for the first time. I always sit on my Roho during the flights and I'm careful to let air out of the cushion as we gain altitude. Otherwise due to the pressure differential the cushion would get hard as a rock and I'm sure I would feel clammy or discomfort from that.

Oh yes I forgot, I did fly from Boston to Las Vegas a couple months ago and I inserted a foley (with a 10cc. balloon) that morning. Typically I intermittently cath during the day when not flying. I also took 20mg. of Ditropan instead of my usual 10mg. and I felt nothing for the first time. I always sit on my Roho during the flights and I'm careful to let air out of the cushion as we gain altitude. Otherwise due to the pressure differential the cushion would get hard as a rock and I'm sure I would feel clammy or discomfort from that.
    Ya know, that's a scary thought - if air cushions change pressure, and water bottles, etc... wouldn't it make sense that a cath balloon and trach "pillows" (inflated with air to keep the trach in place, not sure what they're "really" called) would have some pressure issues too??? How do people deal with those kinds of issues in-flight?

Maybe I need to go read the referenced link.....

Mrapunzel

Fear Less... Hope More...
    Whine Less... Breathe More...
    Talk Less... Say More...
    Hate Less... Love More...
    And All Good Things Are Yours.